Sunday Dinner Italian Style


Sunday dinner was lots of fun!  Good food, good friends and lots of leftovers makes for happy people.
 Braciole is something you rarely get unless you have an Italian family.  What can be better than meat stuffed with meat?  My stuffing consists of cracker crumbs mixed with fresh herbs, Parmesan cheese, sage sausage, prosciutto and an egg.

 You just pound out beef and spread on the filling.

 Roll it and truss it.  I need some trussing lessons!

 Dust with flour, sprinkle with salt and pepper and brown in olive oil.

 They must be browned on all sides.


 There you go!  Remove them and set aside.  Add diced onions, garlic and carrots to the leftover oil and cook until they begin to soften.  Add red wine, demi glace, beef stock, tomato paste and bay leaves. 

 Return the rolls to the pot and braised on low heat for 2 hours.

 I, of course, got very busy at the last minute and forgot to take pics of all the food.  Here is the table set and waiting for guests.

 I made loaves of Italian bread.

And pumpkin raviolis served in browned butter and sage.

Spaghetti and meatballs with sausages.
Greens and beans too.  There was also an arugula and zucchini salad with walnuts and lemon honey dressing.
And garlic rolls.  And the desserts of course. Everyone was thrilled with the tarts and tiramisu.

Comments

NADINE said…
WOW, this looks so YUMMY !
Interesting filling for your braccioli, I'll have a try .
My husband is Italian (drom BARI, South Italy), and I learned cooking with my MIL (bless her).
We fill the braccioli like this :
1) salt, Pepper and pressed garlic on each thin steak (1 clove garlic per steak)
2) thin cut fumed bacon, chopped parsley (lots) and parmiggiano (2 table spoons).
3) roll them into "packages" and secure with 1 or 2 toothpicks.
4) sauté them all in olive oïl + chopped onions
5) deglaze with a glass of good Italian red wine
6) add your tomato sauce - salt & Pepper
7) let the whole simmer for about 2 hours (low)
We heat them with "orechiette" pasta :
- First pasta mixed with sauce + parmiggiano
- Then the braccioli with a bit of sauce and a BIG, fresh salad.
... HEAVEN !

THANKS a bunch for your always inspiring recipes :D

NADINE

Linda said…
Not being Italian, this is all new and interesting to me. Looks good.
Leanna said…
Nadine described almost the same recipe my Italian Aunt taught me. Instead of the bacon, she used prosciutto and chopped rosemary along with the other items mentioned. Bread and salad along with a great red wine. It's my go-to meal when I'm bored.
Anonymous said…
I have actually eaten something very similar to Braicole but I can't say exactly what the stuffing was, it was delicious though :-) I wouldn't say no to the rest of that food either :-) :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Carol said…
My only experience with braciole was not a good one. Kind of an odd texture, tender but stringy. Does it require a certain cut of beef?
And I do not remember any stuffing. But everyone else raved so I thought it was just me.
Guillaume said…
Nothing better than an Italian dinner!
Connie said…
Oh my goodness . . . the only thing wrong with this is that I didn't see my invitation to dinner in the mail, LOL.
Yum!
TARYTERRE said…
comfort food. scrumptious.
I wish I could cook like you. I do order well, though.