Kummelweck Rolls and Brazilian Beans; Mixed Cultural Food

Ha!  Look what The Blog Tech bought for me!  A Christmas sweatshirt.

As I am prepping for Thanksgiving, I'm trying to still cook for my family.  We've been having cold, damp weather which calls for comfort food.  I decided to make some Brazilian comfort food.  Beans and rice!



Ingredients
  • 4 cups dry cannelloni beans
  • 12 cups water or chicken stock. I used stock.
  • 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
  • 1  large onion,  chopped 
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon good quality chicken bouillon
  • 1 diced pepper
  • 2  ham hocks 
  • 1 lb. smoked sausage, I used kielbasa
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Soak the beans overnight and drain.  Throw them along with everything except the kielbasa into a crock pot.  Cook on high for 5 hours. Remove the ham hocks and discard. Turn the pot to low and add the sliced kielbasa.  Cook 2-3 hours longer.

Brazilian rice might just be my most favorite rice of all.
  


  • 1 12 tablespoons oil
  • 1 cup jasmine rice
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic , finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups boiling water

Directions

  1. Wash the rice until the water runs clear and set aside to dry. Boil enough water for two cups. Chop the onions and garlic finely. Place a pan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Once olive oil is heated add the chopped onions and garlic.
  2. Sauté until fragrant; approximately 3 minutes. Add the dry rice to the pan and stir for an additional 3-4 minutes making sure that the rice does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Add the two cups of boiling water to the rice and the salt.
  3. Place a lid on the pan and cook on medium heat for 8 minutes. Decrease the heat to low and cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until the water has all evaporated. 

It might not look like much but it is loaded with flavor!  Paired with the beans, it's a piece of heaven



And then, I am not sure how I got this idea, but I thought it would be good paired with kummelweck rolls. I like to mix cultures when I cook.

*A beef on weck (also known as beef on wick) is a sandwich found primarily in Western New York State (the environs of Buffalo. [1][2][3] It is made with roast beef on a kimmelweck roll. The meat on the sandwich is traditionally served rare, thin cut, with the top bun getting a dip au jus and spread with horseradish.
The kimmelweck roll (sometimes spelled "kummelweck" or "kümmelweck"), topped with kosher salt and caraway seeds, gives the sandwich its name and a distinctive taste. Kümmel is the German word for caraway, and weck means "roll" in the south-western German dialects of the Saarland, Baden and Swabia areas (northern Germans generally say brötchen). However, the roll used for this American sandwich tends to be softer and fluffier than a standard German Kümmelbrötchen or Kümmelweck

I used to live in this area and I loved these rolls.


ingredients:

3-1/4 C. flour
1 C. water
2-1/4 tsp. rapid rise yeast
2 T. oil
1 Tsp. honey
3/4 tsp. salt

Mix and knead until you have a smooth ball of dough.  Place in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.  Let rise until doubled.

Cut the dough into 12 equal portions.  Shape into rolls, cover and let rise for 30 minutes.

Bake in a 425 degrees oven for approx. 18 minutes.

Cool on racks.

You can make an official 'beef on wick' or just use them to dip in your Brazilian beans!

Comments

Fusion cuisine! Love that Xmas shirt too!
Leanna said…
OY! that looks so good! Makes me hungry.
Guillaume said…
Debra took the words from me: I thought this was fusion cuisine too!
TARYTERRE said…
what a sweet sweatshirt. the kielbasa sounds good too.
1st Man said…
WOW! looks SO delicious!!!

And "North Polish", that is hilarious!!
Nancy said…
First, great to see you posting again, and, hopefully, healing. I did enjoy your son's posts during your time off. Thank you for the kummelweck rolls recipe. I went to college in Buffalo in the mid-60s, a college right near the Peace Bridge. I met a young man from Canisius College and we were a pair instantly. Almost every Friday night was spent at the Park Meadow bar where there was always a haunch of beef under ambef lights, sitting in a large tin of au jus. On every table was a brandy snifter of the large Trenton O.T.C. oyster crackers and a large covered crock of horseradish with its own spoon. The beef was beautiful, always rare and sliced thinner than I thought possible with a knife. It was piled high on the bottom of the Kummelweck roll and, as you said, the bottom of the top of the roll was dipped into the au jus. You applied your own deaired amount of horseradish. (The horseradish was even great on the oyster crackers and not one of us had sinus problems because of it!).

The rolls I experienced were very like what we, in Philly, call a Kaiser roll, but with the exception of coarse Kosher salt and caraway seeds added to the top with an egg wash, I think. Glorious. When Wegman's supermarket (out of Rochester) came to my area here in PA, I was overjoyed, thinking they woukd have Kummelweck rolls. They did, just once, but they were not what I remembered. Instead they were small, square rolls that almost looked like ciabatta rolls. Just not what my memory wanted, i have heard a local bar sells the sandwich one night a week so while I do not normally frequent bars these days, I may have to give their sandwich a try. I will also definitely try your recipe. Thank you so much!