Spiral Cheese Bread

I baked this bread for my kids yesterday.  This is great as is but it would make wonderful savory French toast or regular toast.
 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 T instant or rapid rise yeast
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup warm water
2 large eggs plus 1 large yolk
4 T unsalted butter, melted
6 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, 6 oz. cheddar cheese


Topping:
1 large egg, lightly beater
1 T unsalted butter, melted

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine flour, sugar yeast and salt together.  Whisk by hand, then place it on the stand with the dough hook.  Whisk water, eggs, yolk, and melted butter together in a liquid measuring cup and add to the dry ingredients.  Knead on medium speed until dough clears bottom and sides of bowl, about 8 minutes.  Place in a large bowl, brushed with melted butter.  Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1- 1/2 to 2 hours.

 The speckling in the dough in the above pic is because I used my compound butter instead of plain butter.  You can use any combination of cheeses too. After the dough rises, flip it out of the bowl and roll it into a large rectangle.  Top it with the cheese.

 Roll it into a long log; pinching the seam closed.

 Butter a pan.  You should probably use a round cake pan but I was too lazy to pull out a ladder to get to my cake pans so I used a square one.

 Roll the log into a coil.

 Brush the top with a beaten egg white and cover it and place it in a warm place to rise for 1 to 1-1/2 hours.

 Bake it at 350 degrees for 30 minutes then cover it with foil and bake another 30 minutes until the middle reads 190 degrees on a thermometer.

 Let it sit in the pan for 10 minutes.

 Remove it and let it cool on a rack.

 Brush it with butter when you take it out of the oven.

 Nice bread!

It's sort of like a cheesy brioche.

Comments

Linda said…
You know you are killing me slowly? I was surprised you said to stick a thermometer in the bread. I thought that would deflate it. I suppose I am learning bread making vicariously.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i almost always use a thermometer to make sure my bread is done. i figure, why not?
It certainly looks beautiful!
Susan said…
I'm with Linda - you're killing me! Cheese AND bread? If only...
Leanna said…
That looks so freaking good. You know that you are the reason why I'm fat, right? I blame you for all my weight problems and my good cooking.
Anonymous said…
Looks just as delicious as I think it is :-) I do like to add left over cheese when I bake bread :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Guillaume said…
We used to make cheese bread at home. But not spiraled one.
TARYTERRE said…
looks good. bet it smelled delicious too.