Summer Food

We had 80 degree temps here a couple days ago.  80 degrees in February! When this happens, it discombobulates me! I felt like cooking summer food.  The first thing I made were Texas Hots.  These are hot dogs which are not from Texas and they are not hot either, I don't know how they got their name but they sure are good.  You can find the recipe here: http://octoberfarm.blogspot.com/2017/02/texas-hots.html

This is a nice non-mayo potato salad:

ingredients:
  • 1½ lbs.fingerling potatoes
  • 2 Tbsp. good quality white wine
  • 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
  • ½ tsp. dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt or to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 6 Tbsp. good olive oil
  • 3 small scallions, minced
  • 2 Tbsp. each fresh dill, parsley and basil, minced
  1. Bring a large pot of salted water up to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook for 15 min. Drain and allow to cool until you can handle them. Cut into thirds and place into a bowl. While still warm add the white wine and toss gently. The potatoes will soak up the wine.
  2. Meanwhile, mix the vinegar, oil, mustard, salt and pepper in a jar and shake vigorously. Pour the dressing over the potatoes, add the herbs and scallions and toss. Add more salt and pepper if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature. Can be refrigerated and brought back up to room temperature before serving.

 This is a different take on regular coleslaw:

Ingredients

  • 1 small head purple cabbage, shredded
  • 1 heaping teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 large handful cilantro, chopped
  • 3-4 large scallions, thinly sliced
  • 1 large jalapeno, stem and seeds removed, julienned or minced
  • 5.3 ounce container honey greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from one large lime)
  • 1 teaspoon lime zest (from that same large lime)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Shred your cabbage and place in a large strainer in the sink. Sprinkle the salt all over the cabbage and work it in with your hands. Allow to sit for at least 15min to allow the cabbage to get mildly limp.
  2. In a small bowl, combine honey yogurt, mayonnaise, lime juice, zest, garlic, and cumin.
  3. In a large bowl, toss together cilantro, scallions, jalapeno, and salted cabbage. Cover with dressing and stir to combine.
  4. Serve immediately or prepare up to one day in advance.
 Excellent and easy to make maple baked beans:

The recipe:  2 cans of baby butter beans, 2 cans of navy beans, 2 tablespoons of bacon grease, 1 medium diced onion, 2-1/2 tablespoons of vinegar, 1-1/4 cup of maple syrup and 3/4 cup of ketchup.  Cook the onions in the bacon grease until softened.  Turn the heat up and add the vinegar, stirring.  Add the maple syrup and ketchup.  Stir well.   Add the beans.    Simmer for 30 minutes.

Comments

Linda said…
When I first went to NY, I had Texas Hots and was not thrilled. Our temp was 83 this week, and it did feel like time for summer food. I made cole slaw. But, I do eat that all winter long.
Anonymous said…
so now I know what texas hots are!!!!
Anonymous said…
Not the food for us, pretty cold here but sunny for once. Soup would be fine here today I think.

Have a great day!

Christer.
Guillaume said…
Isn't it early for summer food? This all looks delicious though. I am really curious about the potato salad without mayo. Very original.
Valerie said…
I'm definitely going to try your coleslaw recipe! Sounds delish!
Leanna said…
I made 6 alarm chili once and my brother and I devoured it. We are fire eaters. I introduced the chili dog to him with my leftover chili and he was crazy for them ever since. He's been living in Germany because, well the beer and he loves Europe. I send him ideas and recipes. He will be coming for a visit in the summer and we will be taking him to New Braunfels. He's gonna lose his mind.
Rain said…
Oh I love maple baked beans! 80 degrees???? I would totally be discombobulated...and kerfuffled at the same time!!! ;)
Kay said…
Gosh! I've never even heard of Texas Hots. What fun! I do like the idea of the non-mayo potato salad. Yum!