My friends that just returned from vacation had booked two events at their home before they left. Upon their return, they panicked when the one friend that cooks got sick. It was too late to cancel their events, so I offered to cook for them. I made this salad and it was terrific. If you are a fan of cucumbers, give this a try.
- FOR THE VINAIGRETTE:
- ¼ cups Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- ½ Lime, Juiced
- 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
- ¼ cups Cilantro Leaves, Finely Chopped
- ¼ cups Fresh Parsley, Finely Chopped
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 whole Cucumber, Sliced In Different Ways
- 1 cup Baby Spinach Leaves
- ¼ cups Pickled Tomatillos
- sliced radishes
- FOR THE PICKLED TOMATILLOS :
- 1 cup Hot Water From The Faucet
- ½ cups Rice Vinegar
- 6 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2-½ teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 4 Small Tomatillos, Leaves Removed, Cleaned And Quartered
PreparationFor the vinaigrette:
Combine ingredients in a bowl and mix well
For the salad:
Thinly slice cucumbers using a mandoline or sharp knife. Add spinach and top with dressing.
For the pickled tomatillos:
Combine water, vinegar, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl and stir until sugar dissolves. Pack tomatillos in a Mason jar, pour the brine over, then cover and refrigerate. They should be ready in a hour or so, but the longer they rest the better they taste.
Note: For texture variations, slice cucumbers at different angles and shapes. Add smaller Persian cucumbers for additional texture and taste contrast.