FOR THE CAKE
- 340g (12oz) butter
- 240g (8oz) golden syrup
- 60g (2oz) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 120g (4oz) dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 60g (2oz) pistachios
- 100g (3½ oz) soft, plump dried figs, sliced or chopped
- 450g (1lb) digestive biscuits, crushed
- 300g (11oz) dark chocolate, chopped
- 50g (2oz) white chocolate, chopped
- selection of small chocolate sticks and Whoppers
YOU WILL NEED
- one 20cm (8in) round or square cake tin about 7cm (2¾ in) deep.
1. Melt the butter with the golden syrup in a heavy-based pan. Do not let it boil.
2. Remove from the heat and add the cocoa powder, dark chocolate and vanilla extract.
3. Stir until you have a very smooth, glossy mixture.
4. Add the pistachios, figs and crushed biscuits to the chocolate mixture and stir well.
5. Line the base and sides of the cake tin with baking parchment or plastic wrap.
6. Place the mixture in the tin and press it down. (If you are using a square tin, make sure you press it down well into the corners.)
7. Leave to cool at room temperature before covering and chilling in the fridge. It will take about 2 hours to set completely firm.
8. When set, remove from the tin and place on a cooling rack.
9. Melt the dark chocolate and white chocolate separately.
10. Spread the dark chocolate all over the cake.
11. Decorate with the Whoppers before the chocolate sets, so that they stick to the cake. Position chocolate sticks as desired and drizzle with the white chocolate.
12. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.