Scottish Rumbledethump and Chicken with Creamed Kale and Browned Mushrooms


 Why is this puppy constantly sticking her tongue out at me?  Maybe it's because I put this post-op onesie on her?  These things are great!  the abdomen is padded so she can't get to her stitches to lick or scratch them. It snaps at the back so she can easily pee and poop.  Some people that have anxious dogs use these to calm their pets.


 I wanted to make my kids something different for dinner yesterday and this is what I whipped up.  For the chicken, cut 4 chicken breasts in half and trim off any fat.

 Place them in  a buttered pan and sprinkle with granulated garlic, S&P, some seasoned salt and some dried thyme.  bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes until the internal temp is 160 degrees.

 While the chicken is cooking, prepare the rest.  For the rumpledethump, saute' 1 small head of cabbage (sliced), 1 sliced onion and  3 minced garlic cloves in 4 T. of butter until the cabbage wilts.

 Add some diced kale.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.  Set this aside.  I missed a pic here but boil some diced potatoes, turnips and parsnips until they are soft enough to mash.  Mash them as you would regular mashed potatoes.

 Stir the cabbage mixture into the mashed veggies and add about 1 C. of good, shredded, cheddar cheese.  Mix thoroughly.

Place the mixture into buttered cooking pans and top with more shredded cheese.  Cook at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.
 Back to the chicken dish!  Saute' 1 sliced onion and 4 cups of spinach or kale in some olive oil.  I used kale.  Once it softens, add 4 oz. of cream cheese and stir until the cheese melts and coats the onions and kale. Season with salt and pepper.

 Slice as many mushrooms as you like and cook them in butter until they are dark brown. De-glaze the pan with a little white wine.

 Cook until it evaporates.

 Place the chicken in oven proof containers and top it with some mozzarella cheese.

 Layer some of the kale mixture on top of the cheese and them top it with the mushrooms.

 Bake at 350 degrees until the cheese has melted, about12- 15 minutes, no longer.

 Serve each piece over some of the rumbledethump.

 The finished rumbledethumps.  It's worth making not only because it is seriously delicious but it's fun to say the name!





Comments

It all looks so good! I've never heard of rumbledethump before, I must say.
Linda said…
I would make it just to say the name! However, it looks delicious.
Bee Haven Bev said…
I am going to have to try this recipe...looks delish and has a great name!! Winnie looks cozy in her onesie...great idea~
Anonymous said…
That onesie thing is perfect! I'll see if I can find it if I ever need one too. I do hope I never will though :-)

The food look delicious as always!

Have a great day!

Christer.
Anonymous said…
thats an amazing dish!!!
she looks very posh in her special suit!
Guillaume said…
That is a very long title for a post. And it looks delicious (coming from a man who usually hates mushrooms).
TARYTERRE said…
dinner looks delicious. and winnie looks very stylish in her onesie.