Mini Banana Splits


I had a small dinner party last night for a few friends I hadn't seen in a while.  I surprised them with mini banana splits for dessert.  They were thrilled and acted like little kids.  They hadn't had banana splits in many many years.





I made shortbread sticks dipped in chocolate and sprinkles to stick in them too.





I made hot fudge sauce, caramel sauce and strawberry sauce with local strawberries.  I placed banana wedges in the bowls, added small scoops of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream, then added candied walnuts, homemade vanilla whipped cream and  fresh cherries.




I made cedar planked salmon which I forgot to photograph and served it with Israeli couscous and spinach sauteed in ramp butter.  Since the meal was sort of simple, I didn't want to serve a bland bread so I created this version of Detroit pizza to serve on the side.  It was such a hit!  Instead of red sauce, I topped the dough with my first pesto of the season, some prosciutto and added cubes of Muenster, Fontina and Cantal  cheeses.  I laid roasted asparagus, sauteed mushrooms and cherry tomatoes on top of the cheese. I sprinkled grated Provolone on top and sprinkled it with some spices.  I will be making this often while fresh asparagus and local mushrooms are available.  I split the dough and made 2 thinner pizzas.  If you use the dough to make one, it will be thick like a traditional Detroit pizza.




People fight over who gets the crispy cheese corners.




I have been making this salad a lot lately.  It's fresh and wonderful.


Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoon extra light olive oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds
  • 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 2 English cucumbers, cut into half coins
  • 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
Instructions
  1. Combine lemon juice, sugar, olive oil, poppy seeds, mustard, garlic, salt, and onion powder in a large bowl. Whisk well until dressing is completely combined.
  2. Add cucumbers, tomatoes, and onion to the bowl. Toss to combine.
  3. Chill until ready to serve.     I double the dressing recipe.

Winnie got groomed.  She has fluffy pants.

Comments

The JR said…
What a beautiful mean. Your friends were treated to a spectacular meal. A lot of thinking, effort and work.

Winnie you are too cute.
Linda said…
The meal looks spectacular!
Anonymous said…
just a simple meal you say ! Oh my gosh,, that was amazing!! Winnie has the bone structure to carry off fluffy pants beautifully lol,,,,!!
Dee said…
Winnie is growing so fast! She is beautiful.
Nellie said…
What a fantastic meal! You are a marvelous hostess!
MaryO said…
An AWESOME meal and a floofy adorable puppy! Heaven!
🐢🐢🐢🐢🍧🍧🍽
What a super idea! So fun!
Now I want banana spit :-) I haven't had it in years :-) The rest of the food look delicious too but those banana splits will stick in my mind :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Susan said…
I'd fight to the death for a crispy cheese corner...
Carole said…
Hi there, just delightful. Please share this with the Food on Friday crowd over at Carole's Chatter. Cheers
Guillaume said…
Banana split. Yummy, yummy.
1st Man said…
You know I had to think about it and it's been YEARS since I've had one too! Might just have to take care of that soon!!

What an amazing dinner.
TARYTERRE said…
what a scrumptious meal and dessert. winnie looks sweet with fluffy pants.
chickpea678 said…
The meal was “sort of simple”? Are you kidding? What a treat for your friends!!! I’d have taken just the sundae with all its lovingly homemade components ❤️.