Thinking About Fall

 With constant temps in the 90's and super high humidity making it feel like 100 outside, I am dreaming of Fall.  I have been trying to decide how I want to decorate this year and have been scanning pics from the past.  How shall I adorn my front porch this season.

I feel that this year must be very special since it is the first Fall for both of the W's.  I think they will be very happy when cool weather arrives.  I can't wait to see them laying on the front porch surrounded by pumpkins like Teddy used to do.  I tell Teddy before I go to sleep each night that she was so special it takes two chow chows to fill the gap she's left in my heart.







I feel the need to do something different with my mantels though I love displaying my glass pumpkins.

I still have a bit of time to decide, though I do like to get my indoor decorating done in August.




I'm having house guests for a long weekend this Fall and I want the decorations to be special for the kids that will be visiting with their parents.

 For the past several years I haven't really decorated for Halloween,  I've really only done Autumn.

 With children visiting, I think Halloween is definitely called for.





Time to drag out the good stuff.




Maybe I should make them a couple of my magic wands!  (click any pic for a closer look)

I've made so many witch hats in the past I'm sure I can whip up one or two more.


And I must invite the wicked sisters to join us.




 It will soon be time to fire up the chiminea.

And have fires in the fire pit.

And the most important thing, do you see the old green apothecary cabinet in my garden room?  I fill each drawer up with candy, snacks and small toys and anyone that visits gets to open the drawers and help themselves.  I've had grown men walk out of here with their pockets stuffed.  Everyone turns into a kid at when surrounded by Halloween.  Bring on Autumn!!!

Comments

NanaDiana said…
Oh- I just love this post! I have fairy "hidey holes" built into the house and just love the idea of your chest full of goodies. All my grandkids have grown up with the hidey holes.

I love that you have two chow-chows. I just think they are the cutest dogs in the world a I hope they are helping to fill the gap left by your precious baby.

I REALLY THINK you should do a little tutorial on your fairy wands! I love that one and would love to make them for my grandkids (okay--and myself).

Have a wonderful Sunday- Hugs-Diana
Anonymous said…
well you brought me to tears darn you! It takes two chows to fill Teddy's spot,, oh my gosh ,,
Too hot here to think about anything really :-)
Bith cats and dogs nap all the time and I too in between :-) Only the flies seems to have any energy left :-) :-)

Have a great day despite the heat!

Christer.
Leanna said…
I love all the orange. That truly signifies Halloween. Grown men that you turned into children. You're such a good Witch.
Linda said…
I love all your decorations in the past. Some of the pictures would not enlarge, so I could not really see the fairy wand. I like the idea of candy all around the house.
MaryO said…
What fantastic decorations and great ideas for the candy! Your house is beautiful! And sometimes it does take two to replace one. I understand completely.

While you may enjoy cooler temps in October, here in SoCal we will probably be experiencing some of our hottest weather. Growing up in Connecticut I still expect it to start to cool off in the autumn. But after 50 years in SoCal, with 26 of those in the South Bay, I'm just beginning realize it just ain't necessarily so.

Traditionally, September, October and November can have cooler temps and sometimes rain (YAY), but more often we experience the Santa Ana winds - the devil wind - which drys up plants (and people too!) as well as whips up fires. Last Thanksgiving the mercury was hovering around 90. Auck. I also remember a week prior to Xmas when it was hitting 87 degrees and windy. That was a number of years ago, but double auck!

Usually by the end of December it cools off... mostly...sometimes. Well, you get the picture.

In spite or despite this, I always look forward to autumn... it's my most favorite time of year as Halloween is my most favorite holiday of the year!

Luv,
MaryO1230
I hate the humidity also but I am not ready for fall because of what follows - the dreaded wInter..
Helen said…
Definitely make the kids wands!
Guillaume said…
Autumn is on my mind a lot too. And so is Halloween. When I was a child, we played plenty of horror games about ghosts and vampires and so on during summertime. As if to prepare ourselves mentally to autumn.
Guillaume said…
Oh and I always wondered, given your love for everything Halloween, why you never adopted cats.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i had cats for my whole life until my chows tried to eat them.
I can see you're getting all fired up and inspired! Yay Halloween!
TARYTERRE said…
halloween is definitely called for. look forward to seeing what you come up with this year.
The JR said…
Oh please post any magic wands or hats that you make. I love looking at them.
Don't tell my hubby to help himself. He'd probably ask for a bag :)
Mary Ann said…
When I was a kid, an elderly neighbor would keep bubble gum and small candies in her top dresser drawer. When we visited, we were told me could help ourselves. My parents were very strict with candy, so it was always a delight. I think your idea is GREAT.
Theresa N. said…
I was in Kroger yesterday and noticed they had out ceramic pumpkins and ghost in their gardening area.
Theresa N
wecen(at)yahoo(dot)com