Apple Crisp

Despite this heat, I am cooking like it is Fall.  I baked an apple crisp yesterday.
 Check out the temperature in my car while it was sitting in my driveway.  The W's can't go on walks when the pavement is this hot.  122 degrees!!!  I should have baked the apple crisp in my car.


  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 4 cups sliced peeled apples
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Vanilla ice cream, optional

Directions

  • Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press half into a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish or a 9-in. square baking pan. Cover with apples.
  • In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water and vanilla. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thick and clear. Pour over apples. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
  • Bake 60-65 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm, with ice cream if desired.

 Cut the apples as uniform as possible for even baking.

This turns into a creamy caramel sauce as the crisp bakes.





Pour it over the apples.....

 ....then top it with the remaining topping.

 Place it on a cookie sheet lined with foil and spray the foil so it doesn't stick.

 I guarantee that the wonderful caramel sauce will boil over.

I always sit my pies or crisps on a damp towel with a bit of Dawn on it.  After a few minutes you can just turn the plate back and forth on the towel and all of the run over will wipe right off.  My husband said that this is his favorite apple crisp.

Comments

Linda said…
I had an apple crisp on Tuesday, so delicious. Yours looks even better!
OMG, 122F -- that heat would kill me.
Susan said…
Man, oh, man. It's hard to think of fall with temps like that. However, that apple crisp sure looks delicious! Your pups are going to be so happy this winter...
Leanna said…
Hmmm, that looks so good and I have apples sitting in the bowl in the dining room. I have all the ingredients. Sounds like dessert for tonight. David will be happy with this.
Guillaume said…
I am not a fan of apple pies, but for some unknown reason I love apple crisps and this one looks particularly yummy. Here in the UK it is called an apple crumble.
TARYTERRE said…
looks scrumptious. yum yum.