Gingerbread Squares and a Witch



I love good soft, chewy gingerbread and this recipe is excellent.






Make sure to spray your pan and line it with parchment paper to remove these easily.


 When I press them in the pan, I create a slight ridge around the edge which becomes crispy when it bakes and it holds in the icing.

 A simple thin icing made with a bit of milk, vanilla and confectioners sugar is perfect to top these bars.

In the bowl of your mixer, combine the following ingredients:

1 C. butter
1 C. white sugar
1 C. light brown sugar
1 large egg
3 T. mollasses
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 tsp. cinnomon
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
2-1/2 C. flour

Mix until you have a smooth dough.  Press this evenly into a 9X13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.  Let cool and spread with icing.  I refrigerate these before slicing.

YUM!



 Meet Esmeralda! Notice the skull clasp on her cape? (click to enlarge)

 She is the new felted witch I bought at the festival last weekend.

 She has a prism and a spider hanging from her hat.

She fits right in here.

Comments

Linda said…
The witch is absolutely wonderful. Can we see her full length? I just ate, but the gingerbread makes me hungry.
Anonymous said…
That gingerbread sounds deadly good!!!! I can only imagine the neighbors drooling when thst was baking, beautiful workmanship regarding the new witch, Gracie approves lol , in her opinion they have steep requirements lol , she looks like a perfect Esmeralda to me , forgive my spelling, I can't see to correct anything, I'm just flying by the seat of my pants, and goodness knows what's coming out!
Laura said…
The recipe sounds delicious. Cute witch.
blessings
~*~
chickpea678 said…
What lovely details on the new witch! That gingerbread looks so good, esp the frosting!
I really like these thick ginger breads but I've never made them myself and now days they are hard to find in stores too. Lots of people here spread butter and put cheese on them (then they don't have frosting on them of course) and that's quite tasty :-)

Beautiful witch :-)

Have a great day!
Guillaume said…
Gosh I really love the witch!