More Thanksgiving Food







Today I sliced up my honey buttermilk bread for stuffing.


 I cube it and let it sit out for a day to dry up a bit. The making of the stuffing is a tradition for The Blog Tech, his sister and moi! We will get together early on Thanksgiving and make it.

 Next up I made my sweet potato casserole. This is just mashed sweet potatoes mixed with butter,  cream, nutmeg and salt and pepper.

 Then it is topped with a mixture of melted butter and brown sugar and pecans.  The topping caramelizes when it bakes.  It's wonderful.  I got this recipe from a neighbor when I lived in Toronto 30+ years ago and have made it ever since.

 The two beasts roasted for a very long time and drove the W's crazy.  The sugar in the brine turns the turkey a dark bronze color when cooked.


 I break the turkey down into dark and white meat and drizzle it with the rich stock that I made to keep it moist.




This is the corn pudding I made using the corn I froze from last summer and the last of my jalapenos from my garden.  Those peppers served me well this year.

I only took one pic of my  potatoes but I riced 10 pounds of locally grown Yukon Gold potatoes and mixed them with local Amish butter and whole milk to make the richest, creamiest mashed potatoes in the world.  They are decadent.







Willie finally got groomed for the first time since before his surgery. He came home so fluffy and cute.  He is losing his black schnoz faster than Winnie did. But he still has floppy ears and we hope they stay that way.  This is as close to a smile as you will ever see on him.  More pie baking tomorrow and eggnog making and a million little things.

Comments

Theresa said…
Willie is just too cute for his own good. Just reading about all that food in the last week I'm gaining weight! :-)
Anonymous said…
Your neighbors must be near crazy with the smells coming from your house this week! That’s an amazing effort with outstanding results! You

Certainly put your heart into it! All your little tricks and tips, you should write a book, Thanksgiving 101, the right way!
Leanna said…
Roast beast, my favorite. David and I have been eating turkey breast sandwiches for the past two days and we will have them again today. Soup and sandwiches. He will be done with the kitchen floor sometime Friday I hope. Our dinner will be a small affair with ham, baked potatoes, and green beans. I am having sour kraut with my ham. David hates kraut.
Willie looks like a big ol' teddy bear sitting on the floor. He has the face that says,"mommy, can I have some turkey? Now, please?"
Guillaume said…
This looks so delicious. We have many Americans in our little English town it seems, they all ask where to buy turkeys on social media.
TARYTERRE said…
had to chuckle about thanksgiving and family dysfunction quote. willie looks ready for some turkey.
chickpea678 said…
Wow that all looks so delicious! The turkey looks gorgeous!