The Inn at Little Washington

Hello, everybody!  This is the Blog Tech.  Last night (Thursday, as of this writing), my wife and I went to the three-star Michelin restaurant known as The Inn at Little Washington for dinner.  The restaurant offers three prix fix dining options.  Because my wife and I like to party, we ordered all three!  One for her, one for me, and one for our mutual imaginary friend.  Get ready to see what an $1100 meal looks like! 

Before I begin, I'd like to say that this meal was made possible because of my sister.  She gave us a gift certificate to this restaurant as a wedding present two years ago, and it took us this long to find time to go.  Problem is, this restaurant is a bit remote.  But oh my lord is it worth the journey (and money!)


First was this amuse bouche.  At the top is a spring roll kind-of thing filled with a light cheese.  Below it is, I think, some kind of bacon-like pork product on a skewer.  The server had to warn us not to eat the rock that the spring roll was sitting on.  But guess what:  I ate it anyway! 

These were both amazing.   We took a bite and both furrowed our brow and made sounds of approval because we had just been smacked upside the head by an unexpected amount of deliciousness.  Our bouches were amused indeed.

I was just kidding about eating the rock.  Anyways, this is the bread they gave us, along with a neat little butter log and honeycomb.  The mini-baguette above was amazing.  There's something about three-star Michelin food.  It's like there's an extra dimension of delicious.  Like the chef is playing a whole different game that the rest of us can't really conceive of.  

This is a delightfully-airy biscuit as well as a cup of a bacon cream soup.  That biscuit is so airy it wanted to float up to the ceiling.  But I ate it first.  


Several people have asked me what the best part of this meal was.  I have lied to all of them.  Because this popcorn was my favorite part of the meal.  The chef wants the dining experience at The Inn to be a bit like theater, hence the popcorn.  That's cool, but let me tell you about this popcorn.  I swear each individual popcorn was perfumed with the most amazing truffle I've ever had.  And then cheese was added.  I've had truffle popcorn plenty of  times, but never like this.  And that's what I'm saying: the Chef at this restaurant is at a whole other level.  His name is Patrick O'Connell, by the way.

This is a tin of ahi tuna meant to be spread on crackers.  I love fish in tins.  This was my favorite of this round.  


This was also delicious.  It came from the vegetarian prix fixe menu.  It features Brussels Sprouts, grapes, and a cream sauce. 



My wife got beets topped with caviar.  I'm sorry the photo isn't better, but I wanted to take it quickly in order to get back to the tuna.  


This is basically a deconstructed Caesar salad.  At the top is a dash of pesto, and then there's the carpaccio upon which rests some cheese croutons and Caesar salad dressing ice cream!  My wife loved this, because she loves combining food things and it let her do so to her heart's content.


Here we have some carrots.  They are my favorite vegetable, and they were done justice to.  It takes a lot to make carrots stand out in a meal such as this, but stand out they did.


This was a rock shrimp bisque.  I'm always gonna love rock shrimp bisque.


Here is salmon, along with a leek and a kind of cabbage ragout.  It was very lovely.


This was amazing right here.  It's a ring of raviolis topped with fried mushroom pieces that were honestly vaguely bacon-like in terms of the itch they scratched.  Plus it was very easy to divide in half so I could share it with my wife.  


Several diver scallops, along with these gnocchi-looking apple things.   It was wonderful, and because my wife doesn't like fruit, I got to eat the gnocchi things all by myself.


This is duck encrusted with pistachios.  I got the dish first and I made sure to eliminate the fruit  prior to giving my wife her half of it.


These are shiitake mushrooms, an ink-black balsamic glaze, some kinda fried thing, and these little onion bowls filled with tomato.  I hope no one from the restaurant ever reads these descriptions, but even the words of Shakespeare couldn't do the food justice, so I feel at least somewhat let off the hook.


This here is bison along with a little potato fritter thing on the top right.


This is a coconut sorbet square surrounded by passion fruit grenadine.


This is a Blackberry sorbet.



This is a dreamsicle!  Like the things we used to have when we were kids!  



You think that's a pear.  But it's not!  It's a cheesecake painted to look like a pear.  They even got the bruising!  At the center of the cheesecake was some candied pear.  I almost felt bad eating it!


This is a chocolate-hazelnut mousse presented in a chocolate sort-of tube. 


Last but not least: a white coconut passionfruit Bavarian!  


My wife is very personable and got us a tour of the kitchen.  The Chef himself was there!  He's the guy in the middle.


Look at that kitchen hood!  We were impressed by the calm, orderly kitchen environment.  No swearing or screaming or panic!  And this was a very busy night for them as well. 

Thanks and love to my sister for making all of this possible.  She always knows where all the good stuff is!  If you want to read more about the restaurant, you can go here.  Thanks so much for reading!

Comments

bobbie said…
I was already drooling, but you had me at "Bacon Cream Soup" ~
Wow, what a meal! And very nice of you to share it with an imaginary friend, lol. Now THAT'S a wedding present! Your sister is very generous. I would have just gotten you a toaster and been done with it.
Rain said…
That's such a great present to receive!!! Oh you two got spoiled!!! I am dying for that salmon and the scallops! What a beautiful evening, you both look great!!! :)
TARYTERRE said…
everything looked delicious. a wonderful meal indeed.
Roz said…
so awesome to share your experience! thank you so much, and you two are very lucky to have the chance to go there!
SandyK said…
Thank you for letting us live vicariously through you and your wife. What a fantastic experience to share with us. The food looked yummy! I love your down to earth way of describing! 😂. Happy New Year to you both🎉
Joy said…
Oh wow...lucky you guys! I've always wanted to go there too, but like you, even when living in DC, the restaurant is just a bit too far out there to go for just a meal. I especially love how those desserts look. :)
Tech Cloud Ltd said…
Wow, the food looks so yummy and tasty. After seeing the food photo I cannot resist my tongue. Very well captured along with the editing work as it seems so sumptuous. Anyways, which camera did you use to capture it? I’m also working on a clipping path platform for editing kinds of stuff. Anyways very good sharing; please keep posting more. I’ll definitely visit your blog again. clipping path