Thrift Shopping Part 2


I was thrilled when I found this guy at my favorite thrift store. A Royal Doulton figurine....The Piper.  Isn't it serendipitous that I would find this in the mist of my Scottish heritage obsession?  I love it when things like this happen.





I'm sure this sat on a shelf somewhere for years.  It still has the original tag.  $24.99.

 And I spied this tin sitting on an obscure shelf.  Upon lifting it down, I saw that it was a set of flatware. I peeked under the material and saw that it was good enough to buy.

 When I returned home and unwrapped it, I was delighted to find a large set that was completely polished, a big bonus since I hate polishing silver.

 Though this is not the best of silver plate, it will serve me well when hosting large dinner parties.  It will easily be combined with other patterns I have.  I really like mixing different silverware patterns when setting a table. I like mixing glasses and plates too.  I find a uniformly set table to be so boring. 

 This is a complete set of 8 with serving pieces. It came with soup spoons.

 And even has cream soup spoons too.

 And an extra bonus, it has the original silver pouches with it for storage so it doesn't tarnish.

 All tucked away and waiting for Thanksgiving or whatever large dinner happens before that.

 It came in this old 'America the Beautiful' tin.

It had a tag of 19.99 on it.  However, orange tags were 25% off yesterday so it cost me 15.00.  A good thrift store find for sure!

Comments

I bet that was somebody's wedding silver at one time.
Marcia said…
When we downsized and moved here I gave away my stainless and have used silver since. Like you I don't mind using a mixture of patterns. I have to take out the polish about every 6 months but mostly an insert I have keeps the silver polished. Its the dishwasher that's the problem.

What a great find.
TARYTERRE said…
love that piper. what a lovely find.
Leanna said…
Holy cow! You got really lucky. A full six place setting of silver. It's really hard to find that nowadays.
Christer. said…
What a find!
The tin isn't bad either.

Have a great day!

Christer.
Guillaume said…
I’ve seen many similar things at the York Castle Museum.
The silverware is lovely. This is the reason that I don’t go to thrift stores. I don’t want to find anything more to bring home.