I made this for my kids yesterday. It's an easy tasty meal to throw together in a hurry.
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 4 oz sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 oz penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup reserved cooked pasta water or more
- 1/4 teaspoon salt to taste
- In a large skillet, sauté garlic and sun-dried tomatoes (drained from oil) in 2 tablespoons of olive oil (reserved from the sun-dried tomatoes jar) for 1 minute on medium heat until the garlic is fragrant.
- Remove the sun-dried tomatoes from the skillet, leaving the olive oil.
- Add sliced chicken (salted and lightly covered in paprika for color) and cook on high heat for 1 minute on each side. Remove from heat.
- Cook pasta for about 8 minutes. Reserve some cooked pasta water. Drain the pasta.
- Slice sun-dried tomatoes into smaller pieces and add them back to the skillet with chicken.
- To make creamy pasta sauce, add half-and-half and Mozzarella cheese to the skillet, and bring to a gentle boil.
- Immediately reduce to simmer and cook, constantly stirring, until all cheese melts and creamy sauce forms.
- Add cooked and drained pasta to the skillet with the cream sauce, and stir to combine.
- Add 1 tablespoon of basil, and at least 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Stir to combine. Add about 1/2 cup of reserved cooked pasta water to the skillet to thin it out. Do not add all of pasta water at once just a little at a time until it reaches the creamy consistency you want.
- Season the chicken pasta with salt and more red pepper flakes, to taste, if needed.
Under cook your pasta so it doesn't get mushy once it's added to the sauce. I cooked mine for about 8 minutes. It will continue to cook in the sauce.
Add the drained pasta to the sauce and stir to combine.