King Cake


I am still working on posting the Festival videos and hopefully they will go up tomorrow.  Meanwhile, this is what I made for Mardi Gras.  King Cakes!

 Some of them went to The Blog tech's kids.  They never saw a King Cake before.  A couple of the kids thought they were giant doughnuts.  They now know very well what a King Cake is. The extra cakes went to friends.

 I've developed my own recipe over the years.  I fill mine with almond paste and pecans. I was so upset to find that I didn't have the correct sugars for them.  I just finished restocking and reorganizing my sprinkles cabinet and was certain I was ready for any decorating challenge. When I looked for the King Cake sugars, I only found the dregs of what I last used.  Colored sugar panic!


 I divided what I had as judiciously as possible.  Not the prettiest sight.

This is what the last ones that I made looked like.  Green=Faith, Gold=Power, Purple=Justice

Time to restock.

Comments

Marcia said…
What decides the colors for a King cake? My husband had it for dessert last night and he got the baby! He didn't know what it was he was biting at first. We were surprised that it was included in the dessert here at our retirement community.
I hope you had enough Baby Jesuses to go around!
TARYTERRE said…
love, love your king cakes. they look scrumptious and festive.
Leanna said…
They still look great. You always do great baking. I envy you so much.
Anonymous said…
They are amazing, I had never heard of them until I starting reading your blog, you make a lot of people very happy with your cooking you do!
Guillaume said…
Lovely King cake!
R's Rue said…
Yum. Beautiful.
Jan said…
We lived in Louisiana for 13 years and used to get King cake for Mardi Gras and Fat Tuesday. Now in North Carolina, there are no King Cakes. Please share your recipe. I have used the one that I found on the Southern Living web site several years ago, but it isn't that great. Love your blog.

jaz@octoberfarm said…
hi jan....just type king cakes into my search bar and you will find the recipe.
Tech Cloud Ltd said…
Wow, the cake looks so yummy and tasty. After seeing the cake photo I cannot resist my tongue. Very well captured along with the editing work as it seems so sumptuous. Anyways, which camera did you use to capture it? I’m also working on a packshot retouching platform for the editing kind of kinds of stuff. Anyways very good sharing; please keep posting more. I’ll definitely visit your blog again. packshot-retouching-services
Cut Out Image said…
It's really nice to read and very informative. So much thanks for the sharing. I was looking for that and this is very important for me. Thanks!

You can also visit: Packshot Retouching Services