Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies

 Every time we go to an Amish store, I see these cookies and I finally made them for the After School kids today. The Amish call them Gobs.


 The Recipe:

Ingredients

For the Cookies

  • 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups old fashioned oatmeal

For the Cream Filling

  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon milk or half and half

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add in oats and mix until incorporated.
  4. Use a large cookie scoop (about 3 tablespoons) to drop dough onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake in preheated oven for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Allow cookies to sit on cookie sheets for about 5 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cookies have cooled completely, prepare the cream filling.
Prepare the Cream Filling:
  1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter on medium-high speed for about 5 minutes.
  2. Turn the speed down to low and gradually add in the powdered sugar. Continue mixing on low speed until the powdered sugar is completely incorporated. Add in vanilla extract and milk and mix until combined.
  3. Turn mixer back up to medium-high speed and beat the mixture for an additional 3-5 minutes. If needed, add in a little more cream 1 teaspoon at a time until you reach the consistency you desire.
  4. To assemble the cookies, pipe or spread the cream filling on the flat side of half of the cookies and put the remaining cookies on top.
 I tripled the recipe and got 22 cookies. These cookies are huge and weight about 8 ounces each when assembled.

 A simple buttercream filling.

 I baked these for about 17 minutes until the edges were golden.

 The frosting softens the cookie as it sits so you want to start with the cookies being a bit crisp.

Now that I look at the pics I guess I could have been a bit neater when filling them.  I'm betting the kids won't even notice though.

Comments

They look yummy! My Mom used to make oatmeal date cookies when I was a kid.
Leanna said…
I don't know what it is but I LOVE oatmeal cookies. I have a great recipe for soft oatmeal cookies that I found on AllRecipes.com. Soooo good if you add raisins and chocolate chips too.
Christer. said…
They do look yummy :-)

have a great day!

Christer.
Guillaume said…
Oh I love oatmeal cookies, cakes, muffins...
Tech Cloud Ltd said…
Thanks for sharing such mouth-watering recipe of Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies. I like to capture and edit delicious food images as I’m working on E commerce image editing platform for editing kind of stuffs. Anyways very good sharing; please keep sharing more. I’ll definitely visit your blog again. ecommerce-image-editing-services