Memorial Day Baking





We had a wonderful party yesterday. The weather cooperated too.  I will show more pics after I sort through all of them but for now I will show the desserts.  The cake which my daughter made was the hit of the party.  This is a berry cobbler cake.  Each layer was topped with an oatmeal crunch and spread with a berry compote.  It was finished with a cinnamon buttercream and topped more oatmeal crunch and fresh berries.  The guests moaned and groaned as they ate it.  I caught my husband squirreling a piece away to save for later.




She made nutter butters too.




I made cherry pies.

 With cute little painted cherries on top.




I color egg yolks with food coloring to paint the cherries.




My Polish friend, who told me that cherries are a very Polish food, took one whole pie home with him.

 He said it was the best cherry pie he ever tasted.

 I made patriotic sugar cookies with a vanilla butter cream frosting.  One guy ate half of them. I think a lot of people have food hangovers today.




I also made brownies because what's more American than a rich chocolate brownie?  More tomorrow.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You are a treasure to your friends & family. And looks like your daughter is following in your footsteps. That apple didn't fall far from the tree. Get some rest now. (It's been 100 degrees in Fla. for a week -- Too hot to cook.)
-Eileen in Fla.
Christer. said…
Soi many delicous cakes and cookies and I live so far away :-) :-) :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Marcia said…
How delicious everything looks.
Guillaume said…
When you do baking, you don't go half way. Here we have started baking with Wolfie, he loves it.
Rain said…
Yum yum yum!!! I LOVE your painted cherries!!! And wow, that cake...such talent!!!
Everything looks so delicious! But OMG that cake! And that cherry pie!
TARYTERRE said…
looks scrumptious.
Bee Haven Bev said…
I have a food hangover just from reading!! YUMMY!!!!
babs said…
Wish your daughter shared her recipes! They sound fabulous.