Ramp Dogs

 My daughter prepped 10 pounds of ramps for me.  This might be the best present I have ever received.  She said that she actually enjoys cleaning them.  She is now the head ramp cleaner in this family.  I happily pass on this baton.

 When you buy or dig ramps, they are caked with mud.  I soak mine in a bucket of water overnight and then slide the outer skin off.  That part is pretty easy.  But then you have to rinse between all the leaves (think leeks) to make sure all the mud is gone.

 And each leaf has to be washed and dried.  Ramps are not for the lazy!

 I made some ramp butter right away.  This stuff is gold.  You can use it so many ways.  My DIL loves it.

 I make pounds of this and freeze it and also give it to friends.


 For GOT watching on Sunday night, I made my kids ramp dogs.  I melted some of the ramp butter in a pan and sauteed a bunch of chopped ramps.

 After toasting the buns and grilling the dogs, they are topped with the sauteed ramps.

A hot dog like no other. 


And speaking of dogs....poor Willie had his eyes operated on yesterday.  He has entropy which happens in breeds with wrinkly faces.  The eyelid turns in and the eyelashes brush against the surface of the eye.  In time, this can lead to ulcers, infections and blindness.  So, though we hated to put the little guy through this, we had it done.  Since the skin around the eye is so thin and fragile, he can't do much of anything for fear of the stitches ripping out.  If that were to happen, we would have to start all over again.  He is basically confined to his kennel but one of us must watch him at all times so he doesn't scratch at his eyes.  This photo was taken the night before surgery.  You really can't see his eyes.  I just saw the whites of his eyes for the first time today.  He's on 4 different meds and so far is sleeping  a lot.  We will really have to be careful when he starts feeling better.  This goes on for 2-1/2 weeks.  I won't be doing much of anything except taking care of him.  Winnie is not happy that her playmate can't play.


Comments

I hope Willie has a full recovery with no complications or issues!
Susan said…
Poor boy - that's a tough spot to heal and you are so right; he's a puppy and full of energy, so when he's feeling better, you've got your work cut out for you!
Leanna said…
That ramp butter looked yummy. I bet it smells fantastic in your kitchen.
Poor little Willie. He's been through so much since birth. I sure hope this eye fix works for him. Brightest Blessing on all of you and the puppies.
Christer. said…
Poor Willie! but it has to be done. I hope he behaves like my old Orvar did, never touched any stitches because he knew the cone of shame would be put on and he would go through hell rather than have the cone put on :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
bobbie said…
Please give Willie a chin 'skritching' for me ~ poor little guy!
I have GOT to find me some ramps!!
Guillaume said…
I really want to try these hot dogs.
Leanne said…
wow poor Willie. That is going to be hard keeping them both quite for 2 1/2 weeks. But yes so worth it if it can save his sight. Vets are pretty amazing people. Give him a wee pat for me.

As for ramps I really think NZ is missing out big time.
Tech Cloud Ltd said…
Wow, very nice and delicious food tips you have shared. It seems like you're a cook freak person. I really like your passion and efforts. However, the photos you have shared are very mouthwatering. It is obvious that the photographer took the photos perfectly. I’m working with different photo retouching services. Thanks for sharing. Keep going.photoretouching