Witch Thoughts and Things


As I turn my thoughts to Fall, I find that I need to look at things to inspire me about the upcoming season.  I thought it appropriate to do a witch post since I haven't done one in a long time.  This is one of my witch cups.






An altar. Alters can be created using all sorts of things.  Their purpose is inspiration. 





A rare Hubley bronze witch bookend and vintage brass witch napkin rings.



Sally's umbrella from 'Practical Magic' leans against my fireplace.




A magic wand, made for me, by a witch in Salem.



A couple of my crows.  And for those of you who wonder why a pagan has so many crosses in her house:

The surprising thing is that the Christian use of the cross did not begin until the time of Constantine, three centuries after Christ. Archaeologists have not found any Christian use of the symbol before that time. According to one writer (W. E. Vine, Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words, article "Cross"), the cross as a "Christian" symbol was taken directly from the pagans.  The cross is found in both pre-Christian and non-Christian cultures.” Various other authorities have linked the cross with nature worship and pagan sex rites. Why, then, was this pagan symbol promoted? Apparently, to make it easier for pagans to accept “Christianity.” 



Two vintage Westmoreland glass witch balls. The hole in the top of these glass orbs attracts negative energy from the home.

A collection of my spell books. (Click for a closer look.)









Comments

I always enjoy these posts, Joyce! Thanks!
Betty said…
Beautiful post. I love that cup and saucer. I collect mugs and will be looking for a set like that. Is that umbrella really from Practical Magic? I love that movie and watch it so many times a year.
you have quite a collection of interesting objects. I loved this post.
Leanna said…
I really can't wait for autumn to get here. It feels like a million years away from me.
Christer. said…
Many words of wisdom.

Have a great day!

Christer.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
it sure is from practical magic. it's the umbrella sally used when she jumped off the roof at the end of the movie!
Rain said…
I love that you own that umbrella!!! How cool! And the cup is really neat. I loved this post, we are so misunderstood. I love all of your decor, it's very inspiring!
Joane said…
So glad you posted this! Usually, this time of year my mind starts to float to October and Halloween. Great minds think alike!
Guillaume said…
Love the teacup. I blog about a witch myself tonight. Well, a Wychwood.
Bee Haven Bev said…
I am most definitely an earth witch!! Great post!
1st Man said…
Awesome post!!! Love it and 2nd Man it's totally awestruck about the umbrella. Practical Magic is one of his faves. OK and I have to ask, are there spells in the books? That is so cool.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
yes, there are spells in the spell books!
Ness said…
I named my Daughter Sally after seeing the movie!
Leanne said…
As always drool over your witch collection, and your Practical Magic scores!