Pulled Pork Sandwiches


Today is another big Sunday Dinner.  I'm making crab legs and a pasta salad but I saw a new recipe I wanted to try for pulled pork so pulled pork sandwiches were added to the menu.  My kids take all the leftovers home to eat for the rest of the week so nothing goes to waste.

I used a boneless pork shoulder which was recommended, but next time I would use a bone in cut.  I think this was just a bit drier than I would have liked, though it is still terrific. I dry rubbed the pork 2 days before cooking it.  Then I cooked it for 6-1/2 hours at 300 degrees.

  • 1 boneless pork shoulder (sometimes called Boston butt), about 3 3/4 pounds
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 6 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons sweet or smoked paprika
  • 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce
  • 1 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 12 sandwich rolls
I dry rubbed the pork with a mixture of paprika, brown sugar, salt, pepper and granulated garlic.  Make the above mix and pour 1/4 cup over the pork every 30 minutes while it cooks.

Shred the pork and toss it with the any basting liquid that remains in the pan
.




 I made a North Carolina mustard BBQ sauce.  You can find the recipe by typing it into my search bar.





And I made buns to serve it on.

You have to have cole slaw to top the pork so I made that too.

 We are eating corn a lot these days since we are getting the first sweet corn of the season. It will be a perfect side to this meal.


 Dessert will be white chocolate chip/walnut blondies baked in a skillet and served warm with vanilla ice cream and this caramel sauce I made.

Oh btw, though this incredible amount of rain we are having has drowned a lot of my plants, my tomatoes are thriving.  I can hardly keep up with them.

Hopefully I remember to take pics of the rest of the meal.

Comments

Christer. said…
It all looks delicious!

We have the rain but it is a bit too chilly for the tomatoes so they grow slow now.

Have a great day!

Christer.
Friends I have from the North think I am crazy to want slaw on a pulled pork sandwich. BBQ has to have slaw!
Susie said…
Oh yummy. I bet your kids love taking any left overs home. It's a great feeling to have some good to fix in a hurry. Blessings to all, xoxo, Susie
Leanna said…
OMG! That looks sooooo good. I love pulled pork but then what sane person wouldn't?
Do you cook your corn on a sheet pan in the oven?
jaz@octoberfarm said…
yes i do! i roast it with butter and salt for about 30 minutes at 375 degrees.
Guillaume said…
It looks delicious. I don't eat much pork, but I'd love to try that sandwich.
TARYTERRE said…
love the food. looks scrumptious.