Sunday Summer Dinner

This past Sunday, I made a (hopefully) last of the Summer dinner.  We have had relentless heat and humidity and I am screaming uncle.  We all need a break, especially The W's.  They are beyond bored.  Willie could sleep endlessly and never think twice abut it but Winnie is getting very antsy.  They need to run and play as puppies do.  Winnie springs sudden surprise attacks on Willie when he is sleeping.  It's turning into a long Summer.



I made hamburgers with the 'every thing' buns I made the other day.



First I toasted them with garlic butter.


Topped them with pimento cheese and added some special sauce.



   Special Sauce recipe:

  • ½ cup mayonnaise (preferably Hellmann's)
  • ⅓ cup ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons sweet relish
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped cornichons
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon onion powder
  • ¼ teaspoon hot sauce
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper


     I made some Tennessee onions.


    • 2-3 Vidalia onions or any sweet onion 
    • ½ stick unsalted butter
    • Garlic salt to taste
    • Pepper to taste
    • 1 Cup sharp cheddar cheese the better quality, the better taste
    • 1 Cup mozzarella Cheese
    • ½ cup Parmesan cheese
    • Fresh oregano or other herbs for garnish
    •  
    • Slice the onions about 1/4 inch thick.  Separate them into rings and place them in your dish. Top with butter pieces and sprinkle with seasonings and cheeses.  Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.



 And baked beans.  This is an excellent recipe and very quick and easy to make.


The recipe:
2 cans of baby butter beans, 2 cans of navy beans, 2 tablespoons of bacon grease, 1 medium diced onion, 2-1/2 tablespoons of vinegar, 1-1/4 cup of maple syrup and 3/4 cup of ketchup.  Cook the onions in the bacon grease until softened.  Turn the heat up and add the vinegar, stirring.  Add the maple syrup and ketchup.  Stir well.   Add the beans.    Simmer for 30 minutes.



Macaroni salad, of course.


My daughter made a giant Reese's peanut butter pan cookie.

It was served topped with vanilla ice cream and this peanut butter fudge sauce.

Comments

This reminds me that I was going to make a pasta salad too. My pumpkin muffins that you inspired yesterday were delicious!
Susan said…
You know, if you keep making summer dinners like this, summer will hang around forever!
Leanna said…
You had me at macaroni salad. I do love a good mac salad.
Guillaume said…
I want those burgers! Now!
TARYTERRE said…
those burgers and macaroni salad look yummy.
Rain said…
Everything looks SO good, especially that dessert! Alex is allergic to peanuts so I haven't had any for over 6 years now, but I'm drooling at that sauce! I made burgers the other day too and they were really good. I'm not ready to give up summer eating yet!!! :)