A Trip To the Country

We haven't been traveling out to the countryside much do to the time of the year.  Most of the markets are closed and the ones that are open don't have much to sell.




 However, I was down to my last 6 eggs which is an extreme egg emergency for me.

 After years of buying local free range eggs, I just can't use store bought anymore; so we hit the road.


 It's pretty bleak out there this time of the year but I find beauty in the resting fields.

 Soon, the farmers will be spreading manure and getting them ready for the marathon which is the growing season.  It never ceases to amaze me how quickly these fields turn green and lush.

As we drove by our favorite pumpkin patch we nodded respectfully knowing the seeds are just below the surface doing what last Fall's seeds are supposed to be doing this time of year.  They are getting ready to produce those giant orange orbs of joy.
We can always count on this house to be colorful.  A little old lady lives here and she decorates lavishly for every season and holiday.  We were so happy to see her Valentine's decorations.  She is a kindred spirit.

And though I was not sure that we would find eggs, we hit the egg lotto.  One of the Amish markets had eggs and were charging 'buy one dozen, get a dozen free'.  I came home with 12 dozen eggs and they cost me 1.50 a dozen.  I am now egg happy for a week or two! I picked up a few turnips and apples but there wasn't much else available.  The eggs made the trip more than worthwhile.

Comments

Wow! The Amish must have been happy to see you! Their best customer!
Christer. said…
12 dozen :-) :-) I eat a lot of eggs but nowhere near that :-) :-) I'm lucky to have a work friend who always have eggs to sell and they are delicious :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Leanne said…
gosh that is cheap! turnips now that is something i do not cook, I will be interested to see what you come up with. Shame I just can;t seem to get back into blogging - but on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/cottagetails/ today's photo of my pumpkin patch you would love. xx
Guillaume said…
Looks a lot like England. Cool, wet and rather snowless. I do like that porch though.
Kay said…
Wow! 12 dozen? I think we use one carton every three weeks or so. Then again, we don’t cook so many awesome food like you do. I did make fruitcake today though. Yay!
TARYTERRE said…
great price on the eggs. wow that's alot of eggs you got. by the way, made our scrambled eggs with the urfa pepper you recomended. they were positively delicious. an interesting taste, indeed. that drive in the country you took, looked like a lovely way to spend a day.
Holly said…
How eggciting. I live in the country and everything is far. I've gotten resourceful when I forget something at the store. A lot of my neighbors have chickens, so I may barter if need be. Maybe we will decorate for Valentine's