Quarantine Day #53 Spring Gardens


I've been spending at least several hours each day in my gardens, finetuning them for the wedding.  I have a long way to go.  This is the door to the garage bathroom.  Though it may look pretty, all I see are a few of the gazillion boxwoods I need to trim! The green monster on the left is a climbing hydrangea which will be glorious when it blooms.

And this is why I no longer plant wisteria anywhere.  Click any pic for a closer look.


 I planted all of my tomatoes yesterday which might be a mistake because I just watched the weather and it said we will have two nights this coming week where temps will drop to the low 30's.


 Ferns are popping up everywhere.  Plus, I've planted more than 50 ferns in the last few weeks.


 The hostas are opening too.


 On the upper left are some of my ramps.  They have not naturalized yet so I can't pick them.

 A newly planted fern.  When you plant things in their natural habitat they respond by doing the plant version of jumping for joy.

 Most of the ferns I planted unfurled within a day or two.

 A look down the dry creekbed.  As soon as businesses open, I will have a crew out here trying to get the system up and running.  I know at the very least it needs a new pump.

 New hostas planted along the perrons are beginning to open.

 Giant 'jack in the pulpits' opening.  I planted a lot of these recently too.

 Trilliums scattered about.  I plant more each year hoping at some point they will spread.

 My mayflowers!  When I was a little girl, I played in the woods all the time.  My friends and I used to pick mayflowers and hold them over our heads like umbrellas.  They have always been one of my favorites. My dandelions are doing better than any other plant. I've given up fighting them and I now embrace them.

 This whole area is being planted in ferns and succulents.  You can see the bag of soil.  We are loosening the dirt and enriching it with some new soil as we go along.

 I'm also replacing dead ferns along the creek.


 My sweet woodruff is finally naturalizing.

 Soon this will be a dense woods.

The walk back up to the mother ship.   So much more work to do.

Comments

It is already so beautiful but I understand how much work You'll have with the boxwood if You want them to look perfect to the wedding! So much more have happened in Your garden than here but we will soon catch up :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Leanna said…
I know what you mean about the wisteria. I have a Chinese White in my front garden and it pushed through a chainlink fence we use to keep the dogs in when they have to go out. I keep telling David to cut it down and then pull it out of the ground but he fights me on it every day.
Your gardens are beautiful and I know they will be awesome come time for the wedding.
chickpea678 said…
You are quite a wonder! I find it unremarkable that you can see the “plant version of jumping for joy”—you seem to be highly attuned to plant life and giving them what they need to thrive!
I bet you sleep well after doing so much physical labour in the garden every day! Beautiful!
Leanne said…
wow it will be a little haven with all the ferns
JustGail said…
Your garden is beautiful, and very relaxing to look at. Of course it is, I'm not the one who did all the work to get it that way :-) A couple of posts ago you showed more garden and I see you are using some small stock tanks. What size are they? And how many? I suspect better more permanent raised beds are in my future. Right now I'm pondering my options while taking a rest from battling my garden neglected for a couple of years. NOT smart on my part :-(
JustGail said…
The neglect was not smart. The rest is definitely smart!
Guillaume said…
Lovely pictures, as usual.
Marcia said…
You have a much bigger parcel of land than I've seen in other posts. It's quite lovely and no doubt has been featured in gardening magazines. You have quite the green thumb.
I have had the same large wisteria vines in trees. The vines mutilated and destroyed limbs. I had someone cut the vines like those at the bottom. One day, a guy was swinging on them like he was Tarzan. Amusing if you are not battling them. When we moved into the house, a chain link fence was there, soon destroyed because I refused to part with the wisteria. Wisteria is lovely and fragrant but destructive. Your yard is lovely as it is, but I am sure it will be wonderful when you get more done. Love it.
Helen said…
The 'bones' all look so good. It'll be beautiful for this summer. For some reason my ferns are HUGE this spring, like 3 ft when normally 2 ft. I should not complain. :)
DVArtist said…
Everything looks good and full of life.