Quarantine Day #71 Clean Puppies and Baked Beans

The W's got groomed yesterday!  It's been so long and they were so very shaggy.  Wils went first and he fought us mightily while we put him in the car.  It takes two of us and a sling and we still barely make it.  He turns into dead weight and he is a very hefty boy!  He hates the car and I don't know why.

The moment he saw the groomer, he dove out of the car and ran inside and never looked back.  He had three hours of bliss.

 Winnie was next.

She came home and looked 3X smaller.    The whole experience proved to be strange in that it was the first time that life felt normal after 71 days.  We are not out of quarantine yet but this was a peek from behind the curtain into the future.

I was so looking forward to one of our big Memorial Day parties but of course that won't be happening this year. I have promised food to people though.  It will be a home delivery party this year.  I started the baked beans a couple of days ago.  They have to soak for 2 days before you cook them.

You can find the entire recipe here:  http://octoberfarm.blogspot.com/2014/11/baked-beans.html

For years I made my baked beans from scratch never using canned beans.  A few years ago I tried a recipe using canned beans and it was wonderful so I kept making it.  Canned beans were one of the first things that were hard to find during this pandemic.  So, I reverted back to my beans from scratch recipe and I am glad I did.  This really makes the best beans.

I used 6 cups of dried beans which gives me 8 quarts of finished beans.  That's a lot of baked beans!

I add onions, celery, green peppers and lots of seasoning.

I also layer them in the pot with diced bacon.

I made them in a slow cooker too.

Here they are after about 2 hours of cooking on high.

This is after another couple of hours, still on high.

Here they are after 8 hours.  They will cook on low today and then sit in the fridge to "cure" until they walk out the door.  One menu item clicked off the list.

Comments

The pups look great! So do those beans.
The W's looks beautiful but I alöways think so even if they aren't groomed :-)

I've never made baked beans myself but I remember my mormor's (grandmother on my mother's side) and those were delicious, I have all her recipes so I must see if I can find that one.

Have a great day!

Crister.
DVArtist said…
Awwhhh the fur babies looks so pretty. OMGosh those beans looks scrumptious. Thanks for sharing all your recipes. Here in my town as soon as word got out there were NO canned goods or dry goods. Small town, only 2 stores. Our stores have never caught up. I ventured out on Sunday when the store opened and there were blue tags on a lot of items that the warehouse is out. Scary times.
Susan Heather said…
My late sister-in-law who was an American war bride made delicious baked beans. Prior to that I only knew the canned variety. I will check out your recipe.
Leanne said…
Great they love going to groomers - minnie dislikes leaving me, but will happily go in the car.
Guillaume said…
Funny, I had baked beans today, but the tinned ones with tomatoes the Brits enjoy. Not the proper baked beans from my childhood: https://vraiefiction.blogspot.com/2017/01/feves-au-lard.html
Susan Heather said…
I just looked at your recipe which said 1/2 tomato paste. Our tomato paste comes in various forms (tubes, sachets, jars) I assume it would need quite a bit of paste so would it be half a 250 gram jar? I always like to follow a recipe as close as possible the first time I make it.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
sorry i left that out....it would be about 3 oz. half of a small can.
TARYTERRE said…
great memorial day food. the groomed pup looks marvelous. even a glimpse at normalcy is nice.