Baked Cavatappi

I was in the mood to make some Italian food for my family and friends the other day so I made everyone baked cavatappi.
First I made a big pot of rich sauce using beef and sweet Italian sausage.

 I put some garden fresh basil in at the end.

 I mixed my ricotta with eggs and lots of parmesan cheese. You can use cottage cheese as a ricotta substitute.

Add some fresh basil and parsley and salt and pepper too.


 I cubed fresh mozzeralla and provolone cheese.

 The cavatappi is cooked about 3 minutes less than called for. It will continue to cook in the oven.  Don't overcook it.

 Make sure to drain it well.

 Once again I missed a few pics.  I made a bechamel sauce and mixed it into the egg mixture with a couple cups of the tomato sauce.  This was placed in casseroles and topped with more sauce and sprinkled with the cubes of cheese.  Parmesan was sprinkled over the tops along with some Italian seasoning.

 Bake them at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes until the top is golden and they are bubbling around the edges.

The internal temperature should be 165 degrees.

These freeze well too.

I made 5 big ones.

Casseroles of happiness.

Everyone was very happy to get one.

Comments

I would be very happy to receive a helping of this. Looks delicious. I wish we were friends or relatives...lol.
I was browsing in a kitchen/cooking store the other day and saw an apron that said: "The problem with Italian food is that, 3 days later, you're hungry again."
Mary said…
Just YUM! Best part of Italian casserole is the next day and leftovers.
Laura said…
I've never heard of this, but it sure does look and sound delicious.
blessings
~*~

ps...hugs to the puppers!
Guillaume said…
I will repeat myself again: this looks oh so delicious! I love a good oven pasta dish, so hearty. It is still a bit too hot these days here for this kind of dish, albeit it cooled down considerably. I hope by September we can start making oven cooked meals.
Tech Cloud Ltd said…
Wow, very nice and delicious food tips you have shared. It seems like you're a cook freak person. I really like your passion and efforts. However, the photos you have shared are very mouthwatering. I’m working with different packshot retouching platforms. Thanks for sharing. Keep going. packshot-retouching-services