Pasties

 We had a day of cooler weather which spurred me on to make some Fall food.  I made my kids and my neighbors pasties.  Pasties are savory meat pies wrapped in a flaky cheddar cheese crust and they are one of the best meat pies you will ever eat.

 The meat part is a combination of 2 #ground beef and 1 pound of ground pork or sausage.  Add a diced onion, celery, carrots and rutabaga. Add minced rosemary, thyme, savory and sage.  I also add some granulated onion and garlic and salt and pepper.  Cook a small pice to taste for seasoning.  I add 2 tablespoons of my homemade tomato paste too.  The filling should be very flavorful.

 Roll the dough out and cut it into 9" rounds.

 Place some of the meat mixture on one side of the round.


 Fold it over and crimp the edges.


Cut a small slit in the top to let steam escape and brush them all with an egg wash.

 Bake them at 350 degrees on parchment-covered baking sheets for 1 hour until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees.  The juice will be bubbling.


I always make a big pot of rich brown gravy to serve with them.
 Everyone gets a container of gravy.  I warm it in a bowl and we dip the pasty pieces in it as we eat.

 The smell is just fantastic.


 The crust itself is delectable.

 I made 9 of these.

 I also made parmesan and garlic roasted carrots.


Homemade Almond Joy cookies were baked for dessert.


Comments

I thought "pasties" were those things that strippers wear. Now I'm confused. Thanks, Joyce.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i wouldn't want to wear these on my boobs! these are pronounced 'paw-steez'.
Mike said…
I kept looking and looking and looking for pictures. And now I'm hungry!
Stuart said…
As a former Michigander, I love these. I appreciate, now, knowing how they are made. I've never seen any with anything tomato in them, but if you could email me a few to try, I would be happy to offer my opinion.

The stripper version is pronounced pay-sties. The eating version is pronounced past-ies. A common upper peninsula food.
Rain said…
Almond Joy cookies???? Yum!!! Oh those pasties DO look delicious!