Slow Cooked Gigante Beans


I saw this recipe a while ago in Saveur Magazine and have been wanting to make it ever since. This is one of the best things I've made in quite a while.


It took no time at all to throw everything together but this  takes about 12 hours to cook on high in a slow cooker. The smell alone makes these worth making.


Traditionally, they are served over a chunk of rustic bread.  If you prefer you can just serve the bread on the side.


I think it is a good idea to make these a day or two ahead of serving them though we couldn't wait and ate the day I made them.


The Recipe:

  • 1 lb. dried Gigante beans (soaked for at least 24 hours changing the water once)
  • 2 bay leaf
  •  red pepper flakes to taste
  • 6 cloves garlic, smashed
  • four onions (approx. 4 cups)
  • 3 cups crushed tomatoes 
  • 4 tablespoons tomato paste (I used my anchovy infused tomato paste)
  • 4 ounces pancetta or bacon dice very small
  • 6 sprigs thyme (put them in on the stem and just pick the stems out later)
  • parmesan rind(don't leave this out)
  • 10 cups of beef stock or water (if using water add beef bouillon cubes)
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 3 teaspoons kosher salt or to taste
  • 2 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
  • shavings of Parmigiano Reggiano for serving
  • toasted bread for serving or serve over polenta
  • *you can add a cup of red wine to replace one cup of the water or stock

Instructions

  1. Place everything with the exception of the Parmigiano Reggiano and toasted bread or polenta, into your slow cooker. Cook on high for at least 10-12 hours depending on the age of your beans.

Comments

Guillaume said…
Oh yum I'd love to have a meal of that!
"Gigante" -- they're not kidding!
I've always wondered about those giant beans, good too know they are tasty so now I might try this myself!

Have a great day!

Christer.
Eileen in Fla. said…
It's nice isn't it, blogging about life without Trump.