Amish Mustard Eggs

With Summer holidays on the horizon, this is a great recipe to add to you picnic food.  Amish Mustard Eggs make a great side to serve with hamburgers, hot dogs and BBQ.  They are a wonderful addition to salads and are a surprising addition to met and cheese platter.  Or, just eat them as a snack.


I just bought a gazillion eggs when I was in Amish country and this was a good way to use some of them. Everyone loves them.  I even gave some to my very picky friend and she gobbled them down.  If you buy these in an Amish store, they charge about 1.25 per egg.  I made 3 dozen for about 4.00.



 You can add sliced onions and carrots to them too.  You could add almost anything you want...cauliflower, broccoli, beans....anything you like pickled!  i add the veggies raw so they retain their crunch.


The Recipe:


* boil one dozen eggs and peel them and place them in a jar.



2 C white vinegar or apple cider vinegar

2 Tbsp. plain yellow mustard

1/2 C water

1 C sugar

1 Tbsp. salt

1 Tbsp. celery seed

1 Tbsp. mustard seed

6 whole cloves

1/8 tsp. turmeric

Bring  all of the brine ingredients to a boil and stir until the sugar dissolves. Let cool a bit and then pour over the eggs in the jar.  Place the lid on the jar and refrigerate for at least one day before eating.  These get better after a few days. Shake the jar before serving.

Comments

Kris said…
Look interesting. How long will they last in the 'fridge?
jaz@octoberfarm said…
since they are pickled, they will last up to two weeks in the fridge. they rarely last that long around here though.
I can't remember the last time I had a pickled egg!
Guillaume said…
I love pickled eggs and I love mustard. I should try that one.
Carole said…
Going to try this - thanks!
I don't eat pickled anything, but I love eggs and mustard. So, I might like these.
1st Man said…
oh wow, these look yummy and super easy! That's a win-win, ha.
Sunshine said…
Made these last week.....don't even like mustard....delicious. I'm going to make another batch this week for Mother's Day guests.