A Fall Festival In A Holler

We drove to a festival in a different direction than usual.  This part of the country is made up of hills and hollers.  Hollers are small valleys between mountains.  We were up and down all day long and our ears were popping.


It was a perfect cool Fall day with the bluest of blue skies.


Amish people were out everywhere selling things on the side of the road.


The festival was about everything handmade.  This guy is steaming wood to bend to make Shaker Boxes.


And here is his booth.


Floor to ceiling bread for sale.


The bread mixer and wood for the oven.


Like father like son.


Sauerkraut and cabbages for sale.  I came home with some of this.


Apple butter.


Taffy apples.

Caramel apples with or without nuts.


Fresh apple cider.  We drive all over the area we live in to find people selling unpasteurized apple cider, the kind I grew up drinking.  You have to drink it within a week and a half before it starts turning into hard cider but there is nothing quite as good as fresh apple cider.  The pasteurized kind just tastes dull.


This group was setting up cider presses.

We saw Amish farmers on their way to work the fields and saw Amish children on their way to school wearing no shoes.  I wasn't able to get their pics.

We drove between bright blue skies, heavy fog and glare.  Here you can see the view down the road. This particular area has highlands rather than mountains.  
And we were in pumpkin country, they were everywhere.


We stopped at this very cute country store.


Mailboxes and birdfeeders.


And bat houses.

Wheat sheath wreathes.


I picked this cutting borad up and put it down 3 times and in the end, I did not buy it.  Now I wish I had.

They had the cutest kitchen containers.

I might have to return once the new kitchen is ready.

We passed random pumpkin piles along the side of the road.  These were not for sale but where just dumped around the trees.

We saw rabbits for sale, lab puppies and golden retrievers.

Amish wash day.


More pumpkins.

We drove down foggy roads through the mountains.


And saw lots of spooky looking old cemeteries.


It was a wonderful day.

Comments

I really like to go where I usually don't and it looks like You really did the right thing by doing that!
I do like those kitchen containers! but to be honest I wouldn't know where to put them because they do look quite big :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Marcia said…
A great trip to the hollers.
Guillaume said…
Everythinglooks so great. I love a good sauerkraut, with beer.
DrumMajor said…
Thanks for the definition of holler. In spite of all the country songs, I didn't know it was something specific. Wonderful day trip; thanks for the ride. Linda in Kansas
Rain said…
What a lovely outing! I love all the pumpkins!