More Basement Progress

I finally have a newel post and spindles.  I wanted big ones and the workers kept bringing me samples of small, skinny ones. They finally brought small newel posts and cut the caps off and made them work as the spindles for me.


The basement stairs in this house have always been a nightmare and more than one person has fallen on them.  Now, the stairs are new and plumb and I am about to have a sturdy railing.  Woohoo!


My Murphy door is installed though the shelves are not on it yet.  When people enter through the basement door, they will be in  the mudroom and see a bookcase and will not know that there is a hidden TV room behind these.  Privacy for the movie watchers.


Now that I am moving my laundry room to the other side of the basement, this area will become a mudroom.  I am working on the design right now and trying to figure out which wires and pipes I can get rid of.


I was going to take out this big antique schoolhouse chalkboard but My Daughter talked me into keeping it.  She wants me to write the menu on it when we have parties.  As people enter and take their coats off, they can peruse the board to see what foods await them.


Here are new kitchen shelves which will be stained and sanded.  One of my carpenters is a shelf building genius.  I tell him what I want and in no time at all, he has built them exactly the way I want them if not better.
 
He just completed this small pantry under my stairs.  He added as many shelves as he could and a couple of cubbies.


And for the first time ever, I have a spice rack. It's build with wires instead of dowel rods to give me the optimum space. It hangs on the inside of the pantry door. I am going to love having my spices where I can get to them easily.  Progress!

Comments

I love the sturdy stairs and railings! The chalkboard staying is great, too.
A secret room! A cool chalkboard! A wonderful spice rack! CUBBIES! looking good!
Mary Bolton said…
Wonderful new space. Is the chaulk board slate?
jaz@octoberfarm said…
the chalkboard is slate and very old! i got it from an old school that was being torn down.
Mary V said…
Yes keep the chalkboard…guests can write messages. i have a small one by back door my kids and grands are always jotting thing down.
Susan said…
You have an outstanding aesthetic! The stairs look beautiful and substantial, I'm glad you held out to get exactly what you wanted. Your shelving guy sounds highly skilled as he's customizing everything for you. Love the chalkboard and menu display idea. Your new spice rack makes all the spices immediately visible. Brilliant!
DrumMajor said…
A secret room!? Whatcha gonna do in there? You've lived in this house so long without it. How about a wine cellar? Maybe you'll put your spices in alphabetical order like I do. Linda in Kansas
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i have never lived in this house. this is my guest house.
Guillaume said…
Oh I love secret rooms! And secret passages.