Winter Brussel Sprout Salad with Orange Vinaigrette

I have a couple of friends that don't really cook much and they were going to a pot luck dinner and needed something to take along.  I made this salad for them and everyone loved it  I think this would be good with goat cheese added to it too.
 

 Orange Vinaigrette

  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
  • ½ tablespoon orange zest optional
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
  • 2-3 tablespoons honey

Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad

  • 16 oz Brussel sprouts, shaved (about 6-7 cups)
  • 2 shredded carrots
  • 2 cups shredded red cabbage
  • 1  honey crisp apple, cut into sticks
  • 1 cup cooked quinoa
  • cup dried cranberries
  • cup chopped walnuts toasted if preferred
  • salt & pepper to taste

 


For the dressing:

  • Add all the ingredients to a mason jar. Shake vigorously until combined. Set aside until ready to use. I doubled the dressing, I think it needs it. You also have to play around with the vinegar and honey to get the right balance.

Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad

  • To prepare the Brussel sprouts, wash thoroughly and dry. Cut the ends off. Shred the Brussel sprouts, carrots, cabbage and apple.
  • Pour half the salad dressing onto the salad and mix to combine. Let it sit on the salad while you prepare the other ingredients.
  • Add all the other ingredients to the salad. Season with salt and pepper and add the rest of the vinaigrette. Toss to combine. You will need to toss it over and over until the vegetables begin to shrivel.
  • It tastes even better after a day in the fridge.
     
     

My daughter baked them brownies with ganache frosting.


And Xmas baking has begun! Mincemeat tarts.

Today is 2 months post op for Willie.  He gets his X-ray on Thursday so we will find out if he can start rehab.
 

Comments

Valerie said…
OOOH yummy! keeping my fingers crossed for Willie
Bee Haven Bev said…
Definitely going to try the Brussels sprouts! Fingers crossed for Willie! Chester was limping the other day and my heart sank…. But I think he is ok…. Just a bit over-dramatic.
I'm holding my thumbs for good luck for Willie!

That food looks delicious!

Have a great day!

Christer.
Guillaume said…
I never thought of having Brussels sprouts as salad. Might make them better, like I don't eat cabbage unless it's in a coleslaw. Oh and these brownies? With chocolate ganache? I want them!!!
Susan said…
Fingers crossed for Willie. The salad looks delicious and the brownies make a perfect desert.