The Project

Welcome to the new kitchen!  I now have a place to display my cabbage ware collection.

Though there is a pipe running right through the top of the cabinet holding it.

Remember when it looked like this 10 months ago?


Here it is from the same angle.


It's a whole light brighter than it used to be! A lot more useful too.


I needed to bring power to the center island without tearing up the cement floor so I used this antique pulley and dropped a power cord from it.  It has 4 outlets and is retractable so it raises to the ceiling when not in use.
It hangs from the beam above the island.

Remember this view?  This is where one of the old boilers was located.


Here it is now. The doorway to the right of the TV leads you to the the other room which I will show later. This is a funny story.  I really wanted to move those pipes you see but it was going to cost thousands of dollars to do so and I decided I just had to live with them where they are. Last week I was reading an article about a couple in the Hudson River Valley who were redoing the kitchen in a big old house they bought.  They wanted it to look very authentic for the time period when the house was built so they ran 'dummy' pipes and wires across the ceiling.   My workers thought this was hilarious.




My pair of heavy iron hands are mounted under the TV and hold the TV flipper. Willie loves the new basement.


This is the view facing the pantry. I spent yesterday working on this pine piece and the cubbies so I will have to take new pics of them to show you. 

 

Notice the silver steel beam running the width of the kitchen at the ceiling.  It replaced two support beams, one of which was an old porch post and the other was a tree trunk. The island top is quartz.

This is what all of the beams and posts looked like before we started.  They had all been painted black over top of almost a hundred years worth of other paint colors.  We stripped all of them down to the original wood.


One of my favorite things about this space is all of the old.  It really adds a lot of ambiance to this area.  Under that blue circle on the floor is a brass drain cover.  I can mop this floor and squeegee the water right down the drain.


The Subzero fridge barely made it into this space.  It took four guys to get it into that niche.


My unique center island is a combo of an island and a table.  I drew it and the carpenters built it. I didn't want seating at the island because I didn't want to waste storage space.  I like the idea of sitting at a regular table to eat and also have a table to sit at for cookie decorating and pierogie making.


We now refer to it as the pierogie table which I think is perfect!


The island has a lot of storage.  There are 12 deep drawers on the front side.  The black sink is made from soapstone and I bought it over 30 years ago in Vermont.  It is wide and very deep and perfect for washing large pots.


There are 2 drawers, 2 cabinets and 2 open areas on the back side of the island.


Behind this wooden post are some shelves that will hold things I use daily like salt, pepper, olive oil and such.  And this is my monster 8 burner Wolf range.  The inside part of this project is not done yet but it's getting close.  I will show more pics of it  tomorrow. It's quirky and weird and it's like nothing I've ever seen before and I love it. I hope you enjoyed seeing it.  We are having nice Spring weather so the outside work will start soon.
 

Comments

Valerie said…
Oh my, it is fabulous--can't wait to see what comes out of this kitchen!
I love old and I love quirky! This is so great. Sitting to work is good.
What a transformation! Well done!
Marcia LaRue said…
Your redo is pretty spectacular and your China cabinet is so beautiful! The wood is so warm and mellow looking!
Mary V said…
WOW, worth all the decisions and problems. Just spectacular.
DrumMajor said…
This is an amazing space. Bet the Ws like it because it's cooler on their tummies. At a glance, I'm concerned about the wooden things resting behind the 8 burners. Maybe those are temporary, but you wouldn't want a fire! LOVE the dining level table next to the island. Great idea. It's all really cool.
Give the right hand something to hold, don't let him goof off. Linda in Kansas
Leanna said…
OMFG!! I love it! It's so freaking awesome. I love the ceiling being exposed like that with the pipes and all and the pully with the extension cord-like outlet is pure genius. it matches the semi-colonial modern look of your kitchen. I love the hands. That is so cool. You do lack one thing though. You need a kitchen Witch hanging from the rafters and maybe a few Witch figurines. But all in all your kitchen is just as perfect as you can get. I'm thoroughly jealous from head to toe.
Guillaume said…
Looking really good. I wish I had your skills.
Jan said…
Oh my goodness, it is just beautiful. I have loved watching the transformation of this space. I know you are going to enjoy it.
Diane C said…
Beautiful, organised kitchen, just a little jealous. Mine is a worn out L shape, worn out from all the meals cooked in it and an L shape because 20 years ago I couldn't afford a bigger extension, but still a load of love and teaching my family to cook has gone into my kitchen. I hope every meal cooked in yours is a blessing.x
Unknown said…
In a word beautiful. What a transformation. I love everything about it. It's quite a big space. That soapstone sink is gorgeous. And I like how you put your table up against the island. Love your island too and all that storage. I love how you combined the old with the new throughout. Funny the story about the Hudson River Valley couple. I'm sure you are so glad it's finally finished. No doubt there will be many cookies baked and many pierogies made there. So, so beautiful.
What a triumph! I've loved watching it progress and seeing it complete is so satisfying, it looks like such a fun kitchen to work in. Congratulations and a thank you for sharing it with us.
Megs said…
Wow, just wow! I knew it would be great! I love the details, the hands, the pulley, the exposed, old wood!
Kathryn said…
Gorgeous artistry. CongratulationsđŸ’™đŸ’›