Spring Food

I drove to Amish country a couple of days ago and scored about 12 dozen eggs. Here are some from  Ameraucanas chickens. I just love the color of their eggs.


And, it is rhubarb and asparagus season. Though I grow my own rhubarb, it is still too small to harvest so I bought a lot of it at the Amish farm.


I also bought fresh carrots, Brussel sprouts and more Amish roll butter.


We are eating asparagus at every meal now.



I made a big pot of rhubarb sauce and my house was filled with the smell of Spring.


I always add a few dots of butter to melt on top just like my grandfather used to do when I was a little girl, a long time ago! Nothing means Spring to me as much as a bowl of rhubarb sauce.


I bought some new potatoes too and I cubed them and sliced the Brussel sprouts.


I minced some garlic, and sliced onion and mushrooms.


Everything was sauteed with some local sausage.


I browned some butter in a cast iron skillet and cooked one bunch of asparagus until it was turning brown on the edges.  I served it drizzled with the remaining browned butter and sprinkled basil pesto over it with a dusting of Parmesan.   This is our all-time favorite way to eat asparagus.



 I used the last of my ramps and stirred them into the potatoes and sausage. I love using each fruit and vegetable as they come into season and we eat them prepared as many ways as I can come up with until their time is over and we move on to the next ones that show up at the farm markets. I also love being able to make meals that are totally sourced locally.  I am so lucky that I can get not only fruit and vegetables but local meat too.


I also baked a Swedish tea ring for my husband to have with his coffee. At this time of the year, our biggest meal of the day is breakfast.


Comments

We used to eat stewed rhubarb all the time when I was a kid. I assume that's what you mean by "rhubarb sauce"? It was a real prairie staple.
babs said…
Beautiful tea ring! Cardamon?
I love rhubarb, but it is too far south to grow it. I have to pawn my pearls to buy it from PUBLIX in Spring.
Guillaume said…
I prefer autumn and winter food, of course, but this looks delicious, and one must accept what the season and hat the weather bring. Longing for autumn, I would love to enjoy this spring food.
Marcia LaRue said…
Your food pictures always look so delicious!
Susan said…
There is nothing better than produce and meat directly from the farm. Everything looks so delicious.
Unknown said…
Making a meal that is sourced locally is getting a fresher and tastier meal for sure. Everything looks delicious.
Kathryn said…
πŸ’™πŸ’›πŸ’•πŸ’™πŸ’›
DVArtist said…
A very nice haul and wonderful looking food.