Pumpkin Hunting

Yesterday, we drove through the mountains and I was very happy to see that we might have some wonderful color in a couple of weeks.  After a very hot, dry Summer, we've had lots of rain and very cool temps which will make for colorful Fall leaves.  These pics are not great because I was driving about 80mph and clicking with one hand.


As we left the mountains, I could see that the fields had all been cut.  Just look to the Amish to now what the weather is going to be. I have never seen them harvest crops this early and in such quantity as they have this year.  This means we are in for an early frost.  There was  a fire sale of vegetables in every market and the prices were exceptionally low.

I'm too busy to do any canning this year but it sure was tempting. There were bushels of vegetables at really good prices.


All of the markets had their winter feed on display which makes me think we will see an early snow too.


It was a bright and very sunny day so there is a lot of glare on these pics.  This is one of our favorite places to buy Fall decorations.


They have the best selection of metal signs.


I thought this was such a clever display.  They stacked apple crates to build a pumpkin and mum display.


Gourds anyone?  We came back with the car filled to the hilt with pumpkins, straw bales, vegetables and eggs.  I bought ten dozen eggs.  I'm still feeding workers and breakfast sandwiches for hungry workers calls for a lot of eggs!



 

Comments

SAM said…
I love all the fall decor. I'm trying to go more minimalist in all areas of life, but will be getting pumpkins for my porch.
Even here, the pumpkins were in the grocery stores exceptionally early this year!
Marcia said…
Where do you store 10 dozen eggs?
Susan said…
All signs point to a cold snowy winter. A white Christmas. All those bargains are outstanding. You found a treasure trove. Beautiful landscape, even at 80 mph! Why waste time getting there...
Mary V said…
Love the apple crate /pumpkin display. My question too, how do you store 10 doz eggs?
jaz@octoberfarm said…
in one of my refrigerators.
Leanne said…
Cool pic of pickup truck with pumpkins
Leanna said…
I love the displays with all the gourds and mums. I did hear that the northern part of the US was going to have a frosty early winter. Wonder if some of that will make it down here to Texas.
Guillaume said…
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, GORGEOUS pictures! And this reminds me that I must do pumpkin hunting myself.
Unknown said…
That crate display was definitely clever. They can display pumpkins and mums on both sides. That's a lot of eggs, but you do have hungry workers to feed. It's been raining where I live for several days and will continue off and on all week. Even a light snow on some of our mountains. Gotta love this time of year. Loved all your pics!
DVArtist said…
You live in a really beautiful place.
TARYTERRE said…
what charming decorations. the gourds & pumpkins were perfect. how do you keep 10 dozen eggs fresh?