Gardening

I haven't done much cooking lately because I am constantly in the garden, changing the way it has been planted for almost 25 years. I am almost ready to mulch this bed and then wait until next year to see how it fills out.  These perennials will put out a bit of growth this year but they will spend most of their time putting energy into growing their roots and figuring out their place in their new home.  I added some annuals to bring in a bit of color and give it some first year interest.


We are still working on the stump!  I pulled out all of the pachysandra and am relocating the hellabores and sweet woodruff.  Then I will plant this bed to compliment the larger one.  Basically, I am redoing the entire area surrounding the patio.  It has been ugly leggy pachysandra and an assortment of other perennials that transplanted themselves with the help of birds.


We had a new pump installed in the pond and the water is the clearest it has been in years. This is the bottom pond, there are two more as you walk up the hillside through the woods.

I can no longer grow vegetables in this garden because of how shady it is down here. I've planted a moonlight garden in the front of this bed. Plants are just starting to emerge and I can't wait to see how it fills out.


My espaliered apple trees have a total of about 5 apples...oh well, Spring frost.


The foxgloves might start bloom today if the sun comes out.


I will get a better pic of this when it's sunny.  Quite a few year ago, I bought this barn star at a festival.  It is very well made and sturdy.  I've had it leaning against a wall in my guesthouse for a long time because I never had a good place to hang it. Yesterday, while looking at the witch shed it hit me and now it has found it's forever home.  While I was hanging it, I found a lantern fly sack.  I quickly scraped it and destroyed it but I am dreading the ones I haven't found when they hatch within a week or so.  If you see them, kill them!
 

Comments

The star is perfect above the witch shed door!
Guillaume said…
I wish I had your gardening skills. My garden looks like a jungle at the moment.