Spotted Lanternfly

I know I mentioned these a few days ago but I think it is worth telling you more about them because for most of you, they are on their way to you.
The Spotted Lanternfly (Lycorma delicatula) is native to China and was first detected in Pennsylvania in September 2014. Spotted lanternfly feeds on a wide range of fruit, ornamental and woody trees, with tree-of-heaven being one of the preferred hosts. Spotted lanternflies are invasive and can be spread long distances by people who move infested material or items containing egg masses. Juvenile spotted lanternflies, known as nymphs, and adults prefer to feed on the invasive tree of heaven (Ailanthus altissima) but also feed on a wide range of crops and plants, including grapes, apples, hops, walnuts and hardwood trees. 

At this time, they are mostly in southern Pa. but they are on the move.  They say that they like the tree-of-heaven but believe me, they like everything, especially anything with sap.  They are everywhere!  Right now they are laying their eggs which will hatch in the Spring and then it starts all over again. Each egg sack holds 50-100 eggs so, when you destroy one egg sack, you kill many future lanternflies. The best way to fight these is to kill every single one that you see as soon as you see them. These little bastards can jump!  I have switched from using a homemade spray to zapping them with an electrified racket. I am spending hours everyday killing them and there are still like nothing I have ever seen. If you suddenly don't hear from me for a while, they won.
 

Comments

Another dangerous invasive species, from the sound of it.
Mary V said…
So far I have seem none here I RI…looking all the time. Of course I do live in the city but we have trees here too.
Had these last year on my lilac bushes, rose bushes and holly. Yes, holly. Only had 1 or 2 this year. I used Orange Guard last year and by mid summer to early fall they were gone. You can get Orange Guard on Amazon. It is not harmful to plants, pets or humans. They hate the citrus oil. I sprayed from top to bottom. Liberally!This year I put diatomaceous earth around the base of my bushes and trees and also dusted them. The problem with diatomaceous earth is that it does not play favorites with insects. But sometimes it is in the best interest for us to disrupt the balance. I don't usually comment but I hope this helps. I live very near the Pennsylvania border and yes they are on the move.
Kay said…
Oh my gosh! They are beautiful, but such a pain. I hope we don't get them in Hawaii.
Unknown said…
Damn Lanternflys! Haven't heard of them in our area, but maybe someday. Hope not for awhile though, they sound like a nightmare.
whynotgrl67 said…
we havee them here in Staten Island NY. so theyre everywhere