This Is a Good Recipe

The Santas look cold.


I won't be flying anywhere on this broom anytime soon. Note to self....next time buy a broom with a seat warmer.


My planters are hibernating.


I posted this recipe before but it is so good I thought I would show it again. My daughter had a work party and needed to bring something. There were going to be roughly 30 people in attendance. This is a recipe I have been making for years and none of it ever goes to waste. You start off by buying the cheapest ham you can find, bone in. I paid 89 cents per pound for this baby and it weighed almost 15 pounds. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Cut all of the tough outer skin off and trim it of most fat.



Score the entire surface of the ham. Place it in a roasting pan and put it in the 300 degree oven for two hours.


While the ham is baking, empty a large jar of orange marmalade into a bowl.


Add a cup of dijon mustard.


Then add one and a half cups of brown sugar.


Stir to combine. Set this aside for now.


I needed rolls to serve with the ham and my favorite recipe is a mashed potato roll recipe. So I made a small amount of mashed potatoes.


I mixed them with sugar, yeast, salt, shortening, eggs and milk.


This makes a wonderful dough.


After the 2 hours, remove the ham from the oven and increase the heat to 350 degrees. you can see how the cross hatch slashes have separated.



Place a whole clove in the center of each square.


Cover the ham with the marmalade and return it to the oven. Bake at 350 for another hour and a half. Baste it every 30 minutes.




I don't like marmalade but it is a must in this recipe. The tartness from the marmalade mixes with the pungency of the mustard and the sweetness of the brown sugar with the earthy clove flavor and it is sensational. And the smell.....you could almost eat the smell!


Meanwhile back at the rolls....they have risen nicely. Time for them to be popped in the oven.


While they are baking I sliced the whole ham. I saved the bone for soup. I plated it then poured the sauce over it. I added a bowl of my jalapeno jam and a bowl of my whole grain mustard. I made both of those last summer.


When the rolls finished baking I removed them from the oven and brushed them with melted butter.


Ready to be served. I am guessing this was a big hit though I have not heard feedback yet. It also was a bit of a disaster when the transporter sat this at an angle on the back seat of the car and ended up with half of the gooey, sticky sauce all over the seat. Oh well...I can't do everything! And it was my car...damn!

Comments

Illustrated Ink said…
As usual, that food looks amazing! Brrr, it's cold where you are!
Aussiemade said…
OOH Jaz, I can smell it I swear all the way down here I can...drool. Mission this week is to buy a ham and do this!!! We love marmalade and i have great seville marmalade I make. sad about the car. eucalyptus oil(can you get that over in the states? is great diluted in water to remove stickyness. It is not fair to be posting this when I am sitting on night shift and a bit hungry! sigh...
brokenteepee said…
When have you posted a bad recipe?

I'll bet Teddy would love to go in and clean up your car!

I am glad your hubby likes my rich soap....
Gawd, I want to just gnaw that ham right off the computer screen! *drool*
Sharon Day said…
Wow! My mom used to make ham the same way. Being a Virginian, I think ate enough half for eight lifetimes. It's been so long now, that when I saw your pictures, I was craving it again for the first time in years! Gotta do that some time soon!
Lucie Le Blanc said…
Oh wow nice traditionnal food ! We quebecers love ham ! hihihi We do it a little like yours except we use maple sirup and ananas. Those rolls look so easy to do ! Yummyyyy
William Bezek said…
I like your Santa photo, very much an essay pic of the come down feeling after Christmas.
Suzie said…
I started feeling rather lonely looking at your outdoor photos, like when everyone is sleeping, and you don't want to be the only one awake, but then your ham and rolls perked me right up, making me feel all warm and comfy.

That's one of the perks of winter. You come in from the cold to be greeted by good food just coming out of the oven! What a GOOD feeling!!
Theta Mom said…
That looks yummy!!!!!!!!
Simply Stacie said…
Wow that ham looks delicious!!

Stopping by to say thanks for the follow!! I am now a follower too.
Rue said…
Seriously...can you be my Mom? The things you do for your family - wow!
Bridgett said…
I don't eat pork, but this actually MAKES me want to!

And I have never heard of using mashed potatoes in rolls...VERY cool. And they looks so beautiful and scrumptious!

Sorry about your car seat. :)