This Is What Goes With Homemade Meatloaf

Homemade ketchup of course! This is a Fall ritual around our house. When the garden is giving up the last of the tomatoes, peppers and celery and a cool crisp day is forecast, it is ketchup making time. People are sometimes surprised to hear that I make my own ketchup. I make all of my own condiments. I even make Worcestershire sauce. None of these originally came from stores. Way back when, they were all made in home kitchens.



I start my ketchup by sauteing onions and garlic until translucent and then I throw in chopped tomatoes and celery.


I add black peppercorns, cloves, celery seeds, a cinnamon stick, smoked paprika, a bit of hot sauce and fresh bay leaves.


This simmers until all of the liquid is released from the tomatoes and it starts to look very soupy.


Now it is time to bring out the food mill. I place mine over a big pot.

The mix is scooped into the foodmill.


Then you process it until you squeeze all of the juice and paste that you can get out of the vegetables. This is not my favorite part.


So I make the Blog Tech do it. He is a good ketchup maker.


After you have discarded all the solids, you begin to add everything that flavors your ketchup.


I add brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, tamarind paste and S & P. I do this all to taste so I am not giving you measurements. I don't know how else to make it except by taste.


This mixture cooks for hours and hours until it begins to thicken. During this time I keep tasting it for flavor. At the very end, I added a bit of liquid smoke. Sometimes I add it and sometimes I don't. It just depends on my mood.


I have my sterilized jars waiting. I do not put this in a water bath because it is given away and eaten within days. Most of the time the jars seal anyway.


So once I've made meatloaf and ketchup there are a few more things which must be served with it. Homemade white bread for leftover meatloaf sandwiches is a must.


I made 3 meatloaves and 3 loves of bread.


We make our sandwiches on lightly toasted bread.


But before the meatloaf is used for sandwiches, you have to eat it warm served with really good mashed potatoes with a few lumps.


And mac and cheese!


I make Baltimore mac and cheese.


It is made with a cheesy bechamel sauce with Old Bay Seasoning.

This is our first official taste of Fall.

And Abby and Sean if you are reading this......all of this is coming your way!!!


***Thank you all so very much for all the comments about poor dead Misch!!! As a pet owner we should all be so lucky to have pets that live healthy lives for 20 years.

Comments

Robin Larkspur said…
You are such an amazing cook/baker. I envy your big kitchen and all your accoutrements for cooking. Ketchup making looks interesting, but I really want to make that mac and cheese! Yum!
brokenteepee said…
hours and hours and hours and hours....
heh

tamarind huh, haven't used that yet. Wonder if I can even find it out here. Will have to go mail order. heh
Tammie Lee said…
Your ketchup looks amazing! Looks like a fantastic soup, wow, I want to taste that! Oh yum to this entire post.
Your family eats like kings, no doubt about it.
Dirgesinger said…
Wow! You are kind to let us know this wonderful recipe:) I was surprised a bit at cloves and cinnamon in the ketchup, but it sounds very good:):)
greekwitch said…
I have literally a mouth full of saliva!
I started to make ketchup when I had my gardencentre. I had loads of tomatoes and started eraly one morning. I had no idea how long it would take :-) :-) :-) Unfortunally I did this on my fire heated stove and after four hours I gave up :-) :-) But it was the best tomato sauce I´ve ever made :-) :-)

That is a great way to eat the last of a meat loaf!

Have a great day now!
Christer.
Tractor Mom said…
Loving the homemade ketchup! It looks great!

Come by when you wipe that ketchup off your face...
HappyCrone said…
you're killin me here...too yummy for words! (and I have made my own ketchup as well, but never worchestershire! must have a go)
I am so hungry now. Can I come over for dinner? :)
o.k. there it is...looks so good...looks like you are in FULL GEAR into Fall cooking mode...beautiful bread...i am just dying to bake some bread...

and guess what's supper here for tonight? YEP ! meatloaf !!!

you mac and cheese looks great too...
Guillaume said…
I love home made ketchup, but more on pork pies. On a meatlofe like you did, I would put mustard, or nothing than meatloaf itself I think. Oh, and I would have some red wine and some beer...
Teresa said…
The ketchup looks yummy. I'm afraid I don't do well without a recipe,so you have my admiration!
AlphaBetsy said…
I have never made ketchup at home, but now I really want to try. And that bread looked amazing. Mmmm...
TheBlakkDuchess said…
Your food posts always make me hungry... Everything looks so tasty! =D

Have a wonderful week!

xoxo
Rosemary said…
I am impressed not only ketchup but bread, mac and cheese. All wonderful fall fare.
Debbie said…
I love that you make your own condiments...it's very cool. I just wish I lived in your house or closer by and was invited over a lot! That macaroni and cheese looks to die for! Is that on the recipe list? I made your stuffed jalapenos and they were a huge hit!! Thanks for featuring them! I did not, however stuff them with the little smoky things...not a big fan...but they were scrumptious! I also stuffed some little baby colored peppers...or I should say my kids did. I just got done reading about your poor cat. Joyce....you made me cry. What a touching tribute to your wonderful Mischief. I love the way you write...just like you are talking to us. I can tell you loved Misch very much and how wonderful that your son was so kind to her this last year. he's quite a guy. May she rest in peace.
LisaDay said…
The question is, how can it come my way, particularly the bread?

LisaDay
Chris said…
Thank-you for the wonderful, inspiring photos and recipes. Beautiful! I didn't see my previous comment so not sure if it got through or not. I had a suggestion for your hand collection that you could photograph yours, print and frame it to add to the collection. Also, how do you answer questions from your followers or folks that have any in the comments? Do you have e-mail?
Thanks again for the Great blog!