Thumbprint Cookies

This recipe was my mother's and it has always been one of my favorites.


December 23rd.


Beat 1/2 cup of butter until fluffy.





Add 1/4 cup of sugar.


Beat in one egg.


Beat for a minute until combined.


Add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract.


Blend in 1 cup of flour.


This makes a very nice dough. I triple the recipe.


Line up the dough, egg white and ground nuts. Use any kind of nuts you like. I used a combination of walnuts, pecans and hazelnuts.


Roll a walnut sized piece of dough in the egg white.


Then roll the ball in the chopped nuts.


Completely coat the ball of dough with the nuts.


Place them on a parchment covered cookie sheet.


Press your finger in the middle to make a shallow hole. I guess they should be called fingerprints!



Bake them at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. They should just be turning brown around the edges.


Fill the holes with confectioners sugar icing. Just mix milk with confectioners sugar until it is slightly stiff. Allow these to sit on the counter overnight before packing away. The icing needs to firm up.

The Blog Tech asked me to fess up and let you all know that no one in the family gets any cookies until all the cookie platters have been packed for the friends and neighbors. He used to think this was horrible but now I think it makes him appreciate them more.


***One more day left to enter the giveaway by clicking on the button on my sidebar!

Comments

Yeah, make 'em suffer, Jaz. Your family gets the immediate benefit of your delicious cooking and baking all the rest of the year, the lucky so-and-so's!
Anonymous said…
I see you had a change of heart about being on cookie vacation. Lucky us! These look amazing and probably taste even better.

I hate to admit it but I'd have probably fussed if I had to wait to eat your delicacies as well.
TMCPhoto said…
my mom makes those but she fill sthe thumbprints with jelly, I'd do both, a little jelly and a little icing... but them I'm living in cookie exile until the Bean makes her appearance in a little over a month
brokenteepee said…
Anticipation!
Makes it all taste better.
Anonymous said…
These cookies might just be the ones I´ll try next week :-)

Have a Good Yule!
Christer.
Suzie said…
What? No Official Cookie Taster? I would have thought that Blog Tech would have sweet talked his way in to that job, years ago!

Thanks for another great recipe!
AkasaWolfSong said…
I think I'll make these for New Years Jazz...I like the idea you give for using more than one nutmeat for them.

As for the Blog Tech...well, I'm thinkin' I'd be sneekin' em, lol!

Have a Beautiful Christmas with Your Family!
xoxo

P.S. I'm still baking here too!
Mystica said…
This is one I am definitely doing!
Fabulous! This is a new recipe for me and I love the white center.

Blessings for the day!

xoxo to "Teddy Santa's Best Girl".
Ann said…
your cookies look delicious. I've seen thumbprint cookies before but they always had more of a jelly type filling in them.
It's funny how those traditions we start can be so hated in the early years and then they grow to love them.
Unknown said…
Oh YUM! You make everything look so easy...lol
I'm eating one of these right now, actually two. Thank you so much. I also love the mixture of nuts.

Hugs and Lots of Love to You, Teddy and your entire family.
Sharon Lovejoy said…
Still running at 60 miles per hour and STILL can't keep up with you.

Sending Christmas wishes, love, and blessings,

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

Ohhhh, that no knead bread is the best.
Anonymous said…
I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You :-)

~Ron
Chris said…
I knew you wouldn't be able to stop baking Christmas cookies but what a cookie to end with. One of your Moms that was your favorite. Save those for yourself!

Merry, Merry Christmas to you and your family and

xxx ooo to Teddy Christmas Cookies!
Sharon Lovejoy said…
Oh I LOVED the rosemary no knead, but also have done dill. I adored the covered bowl and have one similar that I've used too.

My tree is humble, but it makes us all happy.

Love, love,

S
Jennifer said…
Those look so good. I always appreciate your recipes that you share. I am sure the people in your neighborhood love being your neighbor this time of year with the lovely free cookies!
William Bezek said…
Maybe you could pay the Blog Tech in cookies for each photo session? Have a great day with family...Merry Christmas!
Suzie said…
I'm slow on the uptake. .I thought that this recipe seemed a bit familiar. .I have made these in the past, except the basic cookie recipe is just a bit different in amounts, but I used the egg white and just chopped pecans.

I then made a thin frosting, using butter, and maple flavor (not syrup).

I love the idea of using the combination of nut flavors though, and have made a note on my recipe to do that next holiday season!

And yes, these cookies are SO good!! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe with us!