Has A Fig Newton Ever Made You Cry?

These might. They are SO good. When I mentioned I was making fig newtons, several newton doubters around here rolled their eyes and were less than enthusiastic. After one taste they were proclaiming these to be their new favorite cookies. I think they might be right.

Here's the recipe:

Dough:
  • 1 cup plus 1½ Tb of butter softened
  • 3/4 cups of sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 3½ cups of flour
Fig Filling:
  • 1 container of figs, 268 grams
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • grated zest of one orange

  1. Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of your mixer and beat until fluffy. Beat in the egg and the egg yolk. Add the salt and beat a bit longer.
  2. Using the paddle attachment on your mixer, blend in the flour bit by bit until blended. Do not over mix.
  3. Flatten the dough into a disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
  4. Cut the tough ends off of the figs and cut the figs into quarters. Place them in a food processor and pulse until uniformly course.
  5. Place the figs in a pot and add all the filling ingredients. Cook over medium heat stirring until it thickens and the liquid is absorbed. Set aside to cool.

Put the sugar in the bowl.
Add the butter.
Beat until fluffy.
Add the egg and the egg yolk. Blend in the salt.
Slowly add the flour a bit at a time until incorporated. Do not over beat.
Dump the dough out on some plastic wrap. Shape it into a disk and wrap and refrigerate it.
Add all the filling ingredients into a pot.
Cook until thickened and set aside to cool.
When it is time to make the cookies, split the dough in half and roll it into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick.
It might take a bit of cutting and fitting to get it even on the edges. I rolled it out on plastic because it makes it easier to flip over the filling.


Place filling down the center of the dough. Wet one edge of the dough with water. Fold one side over the filling. Fold the wet edged side over that piece of dough. Gently press the wet edge down.


Place these seam side down on parchment covered cookie sheets and refrigerate for about 1/2 hour.

Just before baking brush them with an egg wash.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes. The edges will just be turning golden.


Let them cool for about 10 minutes after removing them from the oven.


Gently slice them with a serrated knife cleaning the knife on a wet paper towel between each slice.


Lightly dust with powdered sugar.

These are excellent as soon as they are finished. They will soften a bit after a day or two and the crust will become a bit softer and cake-like.

This recipe makes about 3 dozen cookies depending on how wide you slice them. I doubled the above recipe which was not a good idea. My mixer could not handle that much heavy dough. Next time I will make them in separate batches.

Comments

My Grama's Soul said…
I used to love fig newtons as a kid....these look yummy.

Jo
I can actually taste these just looking at the photos. All I need is a big glass of ice cold milk.

My Sourdough Rolls are in the oven, they look beautiful.
Oh no - I can't even consider making this, I'd eat them all! Wow!
Guillaume said…
I vaguely remember eating fig Newton biscuits, I cannot remember the brand. My mum used to love them. I was never quite fond of it. I had loads of fresh figs when I went to Italy, especially at breakfast.
Be still my heart, homemade figgy newtown, I can almost not bare it!
This is a must try recipe. Thank you a gazillion times.

Have a great weekend.

Blessings and xoxo to "Teddy's Mama Can Bake Figgy Newtons".
I have always adored fig newtons but I've never, ever heard of anyone making them from scratch. I bow to the Master!
Unknown said…
I copied your recipe. You make these look sooo good!
Chris said…
I have to say...you are the only person I know (even though I don't know that many people) who has ever made fig newtons from scratch! I adored them as a kid and these look amazingly wonderful...I can almost taste their goodness!
Sharon Day said…
I've always enjoyed fig newtons, but I wondered if anyone actually made them from scratch. They're okay from the store, but I always wondered what fresh would be like. Well, now I know. Thanks! p.s. Why can't you do a show on the foodtv channel, please????
Christer said…
I´ve never eaten Fig Newton so I can honestly say that they never have :-) But I do like dried figs, the fresh one we can buy here tastes nothing I´m afraid.

Have a great day now!
Christer.
i love fig newtons....these look REALLY good....

i will have to try them....i couldn't part with my starter...so pizza dough is rising right now for tonight...

i'll bake the sourdough bread tomorrow...

this bread baking business is FUN !!!!

one week till Super Bowl...

kary and teddy
xxxx
Sydnii said…
You can MAKE FIG NEWTONS?!?! Wow, my world just exploded (in a good way!) Not that I've ever been a fan of fig newtons.. But I always liked the kind with strawberry filling. Nom!
Texan said…
yummmmmmmmmmmy! I see great things for my fig trees! :O) ... these look wonderful!
SharleneT said…
Aha! I knew it! I just knew it! I've been waiting for the day you would have a Fig Newton recipe and here it is... My life is complete. I can stop, now. Give Teddy a hug for me -- I have dried figs to reconstitute!
Anonymous said…
Wow! Have you no limits in food knowledge? I've never known anyone who make a fig newton and they look delicious.

I've also been meaning to tell you I love those plates you have with the lovely fern leaves. Just lovely.
Gracie said…
I want to thank you...you graciously offer on your blog not only the photo's of so many scrumptious foods, but also share your recipes. Many a gloomy winter morning have come to your blog, after reading, the gloom is forgotten and replaced with...do we have the ingredients to give your recipe a try, an if not, which grocery would most likely have them!
brokenteepee said…
Maybe I will put my prune filling in there. I cannot abide figs.
Ann said…
LOVE fig newtons. They've been one of my favorites since I was a kid. It started because that was my dad's favorite and I guess wanting to be daddy's little girl I liked them too....lol