2 Week Slaw

I got this recipe from a new blog I just started following and it is so good that my husband just told me to never make any other slaw. He said that he has eaten a lot of coleslaw in his life and there is no comparison. This is the best. Check out Nellie's new blog: http://berriesandmore.blogspot.com/ This is the perfect for those who do not like mayonnaise.

We are guessing it is called 2 week slaw because it could last that long in the fridge but I doubt that it ever has.


This is what you will need.


Chop up one head of cabbage and place it in a bowl.


Dice 1 large onion and 1 green pepper and add them to the cabbage.


Sprinkle 1 cup of sugar over the veggies. DO NOT STIR!


Pour 3/4 C. of canola oil in a pot. Add 1 C. cider vinager, 1 tsp. of celery seed, 1 tablespoon of yellow mustard (or 1 tsp. dried mustard powder) and 1 tablespoon of salt.



Bring this to a boil.


Pour it over the vegetables and sugar. DO NOT STIR!


Cover it with plastic and refrigerate overnight.


Wowzers! Thank you Nellie for bringing this into my life! And my husband's, and The Blog Tech's, and Teddy's....hmmm, I don't think that one will fly!

Comments

Ashling said…
Interesting...alot of oil though...it doesn't taste oily when done? Tried your cock-a-leekie soup. Delicious, and it made enough to share with my sister & freeze for two dinners!
I will definitely try this when summer gets here again -- love a good slaw with BBQ! Especially a non-mayo one.
This is a wonderful slaw recipe. The longer you can make it ahead the better. Sometimes I add shredded carrots and sliced celery also. Good southern slaw! Perfect to put on a pulled pork sandwich. Vegetable oil will work also. Thanks!
Barbara F. said…
Wow, perfect for a party as you can make it ahead of time. Just wondering if sugar and salt could be reduced a little bit? I will give this a whirl. Off to visit the new blog. xo
Anonymous said…
I can only imagine how tasty this one is, but I sort of doesn't like all that sugar to be honest. But I should not say anything until I tried it :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
brokenteepee said…
My guess is someone came up with this when they were out of eggs. Probably from Germany?
Sharon Lovejoy said…
Ok, my family loves coleslaw, but I do worry about all that oil and sugar. But, if you and yours like it then it must be great.

S
Anonymous said…
That does sound yummy.
TARYTERRE said…
I LOVE slaw. Husband hates it. I had never had Carolina Slaw until last year and it was pretty tasty. This recipe from your new friend sounds GOOD, Will have to give it a try too. take care.
Barb said…
We love slaw so we'll try it!
Anonymous said…
oh my gosh I haven't saw this recipe in years.The farm women made this during haying season and pack i sealer jars when they were feeding big hungry haying crews.It was one less thing to prepare every night.I have made it , long time ago and it is good, even drained well on sandwiches.
Nellie said…
Thank you for mentioning me on your blog today.:-) In reading other comments, lessening the amount of sugar/salt could be an option, though there may be a certain ratio that needs to be met in order to keep the vegetables tasting fresh for the time needed.
Guillaume said…
I had loads of coleslaw recently.
luckybunny said…
I love slaw so we'll have to try this!
Anonymous said…
I have a love/hate relationship with coleslaw. I've tried different recipes and I either love it or hate it. I will certainly give this a try because it sounds delicious.
Wizardess said…
And it's vegan! As long as you use sugar that hasn't been filtered through bone char, as most has. Def will try this one! And Frith II, my sourdough starter, is still burbling along. :) Hope your puter woes are fixed soon.
SharleneT said…
Might as well start thinking about getting ready for summer. Have to try this for our next family get-together. Now, to pop over and check out the new blog! Thanks for sharing. Come visit when you can.