Spaghetti with Prosciutto

Early sunday morning I was preparing food for my Daughter to take with her when she left. I realized I had no pasta to send back with her so I whipped up some spaghetti. I made it up as I went along. It took no time at all and it is some of the best spaghetti I've ever eaten. Sometimes simple is best.




I missed a photo, but you want to start by frying 8 strips of bacon in a heavy pot. When almost crisp, remove and drain on paper towels. Slice 1 large onion very thin and add to the grease in the pot. You should only have a couple tablespoons of grease, if there is more, drain it off. Add a tablespoon of black pepper, 6 cloves of minced garlic and a teaspoon of salt. Fry until the onions begin to soften.

Add about 1/2 cup of red wine, stirring to deglaze the brown bits on the bottom of the pot.


All of the bits will attach themselves to the onions which adds lots of flavor.



Stir in 2 large cans of crushed tomatoes. I always use Muir Glen Fire Roasted.

Stir in 1 tablespoon of sugar.....I know, the age old argument of adding sugar to spaghetti sauce. I always add some to cut the acidity of canned tomatoes. Add 1/2 of a small can of tomato paste.


Add 2 packets of Swanson's beef stock concentrate.


Add about 1/2 tsp. of liquid smoke. This gives it just a bit of smokiness but adds to depth of flavor. Dice the bacon and add to the sauce.

In no time at all you have this sauce. It does not need to cook any longer. It is nice and rich and thick.


Stir in some fresh basil. This adds a nice fresh flavor.

The add 1/2 cup of cream. At this point, screw the fat content. Just eat in moderation! Use low fat cream if you want to.

I like to serve this with either penne or spaghetti.

One last step. Slice pieces of very thin prosciutto.

Serve slices of it on top of each bowl of pasta.


Packed up and ready to go.


My daughter said they sat around when they got home and ate every bit of it.

Comments