Flounder Meuniere


We have been eating lots of fish around here recently.  I love fish and seafood but rarely order it out because it seems that many restaurants really do not prepare it properly.  We have a wonderful fish market that flies in fresh fish daily.  I bought soft shell crabs recently and they were alive and kicking when I got them.  I stopped in the other day and they were just unloading fresh whole flounder. 
I bought three nice pieces and made flounder meuniere.  This dish takes me back to the days when you could order sole meuniere and the whole fish was prepared table side and the server de-boned it and served it to you right from the pan.  You can use any mild white fish you like for this recipe.  Season some flour and lightly coat the filets with it. Sprinkle with cracked black pepper and sea salt.

Melt some good butter in a skillet.  You want to brown the butter so set the flame to medium.

Zest a lemon and dice some fresh parsley.

The butter should just be turning golden.

Add your filets.  I crammed them into this skillet rather than use my good fish pan.  How stupid and lazy.

Let them cook over medium heat until they turn golden.  Flip them and do the same for the other side.  See how one of them broke...should have used my fish pan.  I said many swears at myself.

Just before removing them from the pan, squeeze 1 lemon over them. Sprinkle the lemon zest and the parsley over them.

I served these with Israeli couscous on the side.

Comments

My Rare One enjoyed an absolutely delicious flounder at a fine French restaurant in le Vieux Quebec. She raved about it for days, LOL!
Anonymous said…
it looks amazing!!!!!!
brokenteepee said…
I love Israeli couscous
Our fish place, drives the fish up fresh every morning. Having been caught off of Long Island. He has boats and he has this store. :-)
TARYTERRE said…
My hubby and I were just talking about how much flounder we used to eat and how you can't find it at the store because of tilapia. Fish looks good.
Anonymous said…
I love fish in all ways possible except for fish pudding, that's unedible :-)

Growing up by the ocean having lots of restaurants around me that really knows how to cook fish have made me a bit picky so I really can't stand fish in restaurants up here far away from the ocean. They just don't know how to do it!

I had huge problems with my internet connection but now it's solved. I'll tell You all about it in tomorrows post :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
Guillaume said…
Is it the same thing as a sole meunière? Great meal.
luckybunny said…
Oh that looks so delicious!
Very delicious, a favorite of ours too! Sole meuniere is what made Julia Child fall in love with French cooking . . . and the rest is history!
Finally! You cook fish exactly the way I was taught by my grandmother! I feel SO smart! :)
Crabs...love those but have never fixed them when they were alive. I always just buy crabmeat.