Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes

My oven and my cooktop broke a couple weeks ago. They finally got the parts in and fixed them on Thursday.  Though I continued to cook for the shelter, it curtailed my activity a bit.  So, on Friday, I made them a big meal.
 I started by sauteing lots of peppers from my garden with diced celery and onions.

 Then I mixed together eggs, black pepper, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, granulated garlic and onion, S&P, and some beef stock.

 I used ground beef, ground pork, hot sausage and mild sausage.

 Add a sleeve of crushed crackers and then pour the liquid mixture over the meat and mix and mix and mix.

 I made lumpy mashed potatoes to go along with it.

 I always bake my potatoes for mashed potatoes.  I mashed for what seemed like hours and still had some lumps.

 Lots of potatoes.

 I covered the loaves with a lattice of bacon. 


 These baked at 350 degrees for almost 4 hours.  The internal temperature should be 160 degrees. They were huge.  I made homemade ketchup last week from my remaining tomatoes and took a huge jar of it to use on the meatloaves.  The guys were so happy when they saw and smelled these.  At home, my guys almost cried when they saw the meatloaves walk out the door.  So, after I finished at the shelter, I drove to the store and bought more ingredients.

 Then I came home and made my boys their own meatloaf.

 Today I am making homemade white bread.

The Blog Tech and his dad can have meatloaf sandwiches.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love meatloaf!
It's one of the few things the restaurant we order our dinners from at work can manage to do right! so I never miss that. But I've never seen it with bacon like You do.

Strange really, a restaurant that is well known for their food but still can't spice anything so that it tastes at least something :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
Autumn Rose said…
I miss a lot of posts, and seldom comment, but just wanted to mention that you are such an inspiration for what you do, in every way. This is the one blog that I have kept bookmarked over the years.....thank you for your postings.....
Sunnybrook Farm said…
Oh man, you can't go wrong with that combination, wonderful!
I haven't made meatloaf in ages, but you now inspired me to do one real soon!
You certainly know the way to men's hearts!
brokenteepee said…
This was my father's favorite meal
Anonymous said…
wow, now that's a meat loaf, wow, beautiful, your arms must be strong mixing all the meat!!! You must be skin and bone the way you cook for your shelter guys and your men at home, delicious looking meal, I'm not a big meat eater although I am not a vegetarian either and I do love meat loaf, I truly do , almost the recipe except the bacon, I have never wrapped them in bacon, I will now though, I love mashed potatoes too, too much!
jody said…
just stopping by to say hi! love your meat-loaf! mine never seems to have enough flavor.. will try yours next time. im sure the guys appreciate all your yummy cooking as well as your guys at home! enjoy the rest of your weekend! im actually sitting for a bit... may stay here the rest of the evening!
H.A. Blackthorn said…
That looks SO good! The world is truly lucky to have someone as generous (and talented!)as you in it.
TARYTERRE said…
MEATLOAF is comfort food, pure and simple.
2 Tramps said…
Wow - not just meatloaf but meatloaf covered with a bacon weave - beautiful!! Ditto with Autumn Rose - you are darned amazing!!
I think we all agree by now that you are Martha Stewart ten time over..and..no...MORE! You run circles around her in the kitchen!
I have never seen such gorgeous meatloaves.
EVER!
Sandy Livesay said…
Jaz,

The guys were in heaven eating your homemade food. I have to admit, you've made me hungry for meatloaf.
Barb said…
What a terrific meal, I bet they loved it!
luckybunny said…
I will have to remember to try this. I never ever make meatloaf, except once and a while a cajun version with pork and spices... but I know a couple of guys that would probably love this with all the bacon :)
luckybunny said…
I will have to remember to try this. I never ever make meatloaf, except once and a while a cajun version with pork and spices... but I know a couple of guys that would probably love this with all the bacon :)