Fig Newtons

I saw some cookies that Laurie at:  http://iloveacloudyday.blogspot.com/ made for Christmas and I bookmarked them.  I finally got around to making them and this will be one of my new favorite recipes.
 Laurie makes hers with dates and I will do so in the future but I was out of dates so I used figs.  They ended up being the best Fig Newtons ever.

 I started by removing the stem from the figs and quartering them.

 Then I chopped them in the food processor.

 Here is the recipe for the fig filling:
  • 1 container of figs, 268 grams
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • grated zest of one orange
 Here is the recipe for the dough:

2 cups butter or 2 cups margarine, softened
2 cups brown sugar, packed
1 cup milk
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 cups rolled oats
5 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Put this in the fridge for about an hour before rolling it out.

Cook the fig filling until it starts to bubble and thicken and set it aside to cool completely.

Roll the dough out thin and cut into 2-1/2 inch circles.  Bake them at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes.

I found my filling to be rather chunky so I pulsed it in the food processor until it reached a good spreading consistency.

Spread some on one of the cookie rounds.

Then top with another pressing firmly.

This makes a lot of cookies.  I think I got about 80 out of this batch. Store them in a covered container in a cool place.













Comments

Anonymous said…
looks so good Joyce, I'm so glad they turned out! Looks like our dining room table at Christmas, all lined up with these cookies!My blog is still a mess, they are trying to fix it for me,
I wish I liked dates or figs but I'm not fond of either of them. I've never liked Fix Newtons either. My folks used to have them around all the time and as a child I thought they were horrible. I've a feeling I would like these. They are certainly beautiful..
I love this idea of making a classic at home, but making better . This is the kind of cookie you could open a business with!
Anonymous said…
I've never made or eaten this cookies before so it's something I must try next time I feel like baking cookies :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
My Mom used to make those date-oatmeal cookies as a special treat when I was a kid. I'm sure it's the same recipe as Laurie's -- probably came from a Robin Hood flour recipe book, very big in Canada. I'd love to try your fig variation too -- I love figs!
Guillaume said…
I was lucky enough in my life to eat Italian figs, fresh from the tree. Best I have ever eaten.
Nellie said…
These sound great! Perfect for a snack with a cup of coffee!
Ellen in Oregon said…
These cookies sound absolutely delicious. In addition to dates & figs, I may try using dried cherries to make the filling when I make them this weekend. I sure wish I had a few to go with my coffee right now. You & Laurie are such excellent cooks & bakers.
Last week I made the orange bunt cake you posted. It is now my favorite cake and I already have requests that I make it again. Heavenly!
TARYTERRE said…
I LOVE fig newtons. Your homemade ones look even better. YUM!
petoskystone said…
Pinned! Hope that they fix your blog soonest Laurie.
Barb said…
How great to make your own fig cookies!
2 Tramps said…
Great cookies! We have a bag of figs just waiting for this recipe - thanks for sharing - we will be making them soon here!
Cascade Quilts said…
Yum! Do you think these could be made as a sheet cookie and cut into squares?
Kay said…
Is there anything you don't know how to make? Wow!
luckybunny said…
these look so yummy, I know the guys here would love them but I think I just might too!