Terrific Sandwich Rolls

I made some curried egg salad the other day and tried out this new roll recipe to serve it on.
 I am always looking for good rolls recipes and this one is great.

 They are very easy to make too.

Sandwich roll recipe:

Ingredients
  • 1/2 C. water
  • 2 tsp. rapid rise yeast
  • 3 T. sugar
  • 4 -1/3 C. flour
  • 1- 1/2 tsp.  salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup  unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 egg at room temperature (beaten lightly), plus one egg for the egg wash
Instructions
  • In the bowl of your mixwe, combine the water, yeast, and sugar. Allow the yeast mixture to sit for 5 minutes. Add the flour and salt and mix until it begins to form a ball.  It will be a bit sticky.
  • Place dough into a lightly-oiled bowl. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise until it has doubled in size, about 1-1  1/2 hours.
  • Once the dough has risen, punch down.
  • Divide the dough into 8-10 portions depending on the size you want them to be. Roll each portion into a ball and place dough balls onto a large baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Allow the buns to rise for another 1 hour, or until they have again doubled in size.
  • Heat oven to 400.
  • Whisk another egg and add a dash of water to the egg. Brush the tops of the rolls with the egg wash.
  • Bake the rolls for approximately 15 minutes, or until they are a deep golden color. Cool rolls on a rack.

Comments

John'aLee said…
I too am always on the lookout for good roll recipes. These look divine. I might have to try them while the hubby is home this week.
Have you ever read any of the King Arthur cookbooks? They are my favorite. I also found an old big cookbook here at an estate sale that has breads from a couple who traveled all over the United States looking for regional bread recipes. Love that book too.
Joy said…
Yum! My go-to dinner roll recipe has always been the Pilsbury one from scratch...not the canned ones in the refrigerator aisle.

Willing to give these a shot though! :-)
TARYTERRE said…
Those rolls look yummy. But I want some of that curried egg salad to go with them.
Anonymous said…
Those rolls have a really nice color! I wonder why I so seldom bake rolls? It's so easy and I love to have them for breakfast.

Have a great day!
Christer.
brokenteepee said…
They look gorgeous.
I'm going to make Challah today but I'm going to use two thirds of the the dough to make a monkey bread. Mmmm, monkey bread.
Nellie said…
Oh, yum! Now I'm ready to make some egg salad to serve on those rolls! It sounds perfect!
Megs said…
I will have to try these, since your roll recipes are favorites with my family.
Getting ready for the next round of snow.
Mary Ann said…
They look so very good!
Hippo said…
What kind of flour do you use in your bread recipes? All I can get here is self raising flour, it is marketed as 'cake' flour. I thought 'strong' flour should be used for making bread?