Chicken Schnitzel ala Holstein

This is a delicious meal that can be thrown together in no time at all.  My family loves anchovies so I served them on top but you certainly can leave them out if they don't float your boat.
I set up a breading station next to my frying pan.  Flatten some chicken breasts  by pounding them between waxed paper.  Dip them in the flour first, shaking off any excess.  Dip them in a mixture of 2 beaten eggs and 2 tablespoons of milk whisked together.  Shake off the excess.  Lastly, dip them in some corn meal which you've seasoned with salt and pepper.

Cook in a bit of butter and oil until golden and crisp. Keep warm on a rack placed on a cookie sheet in a warm oven.

Add 3 tablespoons of flour to the drippings in the pan.  Whisk this over medium heat for several minutes and slowly add 1 cup of chicken broth.  Add additional broth if the sauce is too thick. This should be on the thin side.  Add 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley and 3 tablespoons of capers. Whisk in the juice of half a lemon. Season with S & P.

I made garlic green beans as a side dish.

Saute green beans with lots of diced garlic in a bit of butter over high heat.  Season with salt and pepper.


Just before serving, drizzle some of the caper sauce on the schnitzel, top with a fried egg and place the anchovies on top.....or not.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Or not when it comes to me and anchovies :-) This do look delicious though! I think it might be time to buy some chicken breats again :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
Anonymous said…
Garry s drooling,
how embarrassing, lol,
yummo!
TARYTERRE said…
My mouth is watering. Seriously. It sounds wonderful.
DeniseinVA said…
That is a great looking meal, thanks for sharing. I have also enjoyed your others.
I'd take the fried egg on top -- would be a delicious addition. You can have my anchovies, though.
Guillaume said…
I'd eat that. I love the idea of a mix chicken and fish.
brokenteepee said…
The hubby would love this. He adores anchovies.