Jap Chae Recipe

I have a friend that really likes Korean food so yesterday I made her jap chae.  This is a favorite of mine too and I almost always order it at Korean restaurants.
 The secret to this dish is to get the right balance of soy sauce and sugar.  I use 1/2 cup of soy sauce mixed with 1/2 cup of brown sugar.  Whisk in 4 tablespoons of sesame oil.

 Then add lots of chopped garlic.  I added about 8 minced garlic cloves.  Stir in 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds.

 Boil 1 package of sweet potato noodles (dangmyeon) for 5 minutes and drain them.
Place them in a bowl.
 Add about 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce mixture and toss them around to coat them.

 Cut 2 carrots into matchsticks.

 Thinly slice 1 red pepper, 1 medium onion and the green parts of a bunch of scallions.

 Slice 8 mushrooms.
Quickly stir fry each vegetable separately in a couple teaspoons of oil.  The vegetables should still be crunchy.
 Fry the noodles in a bit of oil for about 3 minutes. Cook some fresh spinach just until wilted and toss that in too.

 Toss everything with the rest of the sauce.  I sliced some kimchi and added it on top and drizzled some kimchi juice over the dish.


Comments

Anonymous said…
this is truly an exotic food for me,, I love the colors and the flavors must be out of this world!
We eat so plain compared to you,,
sigh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,


you are one spicy woman!
Yowza, that's a lot of garlic!
Craig said…
It is indeed very exotic. It all looks delicious and cheaper than a trip to Seoul!
Susan said…
I'll be right over!
TARYTERRE said…
This dish has my name on it too. I can almost smell and taste it. What delightful cuisine. YUM! YUM!
Anonymous said…
This looks yummy!

I've never heard of potato noodles before, must see if I can find that in te super market.

Today however I just fry a few saysages and put them in hotdog breads :-)

have a great day!
Christer.
Guillaume said…
Looks delicious. As always.
Okay, now I KNOW there is nothing you can't cook! No wonder a certain cute young man moved back home. Tell him he is going to have to share...some crazy woman from California is packing her bags! LOL
Looks wonderful, Joyce! How's the heat?? It's been a perfect 72 degree's here but I know what's coming and I'm bracing myself.
How is Teddy??? Is the meds working for her? I know it will be a real chore for you to medicate her. Poor little girl! Or maybe it's "poor Joyce!" :)
Lois said…
This one I'm writing down for sure, I love those flavour combinations and have been craving noodles lately...
Kay said…
I always buy this ready made, but wow! You actually make it! That's fabulous!