Carrot Cake

Yesterday was Cake Baking Friday and I made my famous carrot cake for my family.  I've been making this cake for years and years and it is hands down my families favorite dessert. When I tell them I am making it, they immediately perk up and always ask....'is it your famous one?'...as if I would sneak in a different recipe!
But first I will show you the results of the glass bread tube from yesterday.  Before using it, you must butter the inside entirely.  I used a recipe for Italian bread that came with it.

I doubled the recipe so I would have an extra loaf.  I'm not terribly impressed with the glass tube but the bread was outstanding.
It was crisp on the outside and very tender on the inside.  I'm not sure if it was the recipe or the tube so I will have to try it again.  I should have kept that extra loaf to compare them but I gave it away. Also, it is easy to clean and the bread slips right out.


 Back to the cake.  In the bowl of your mixer, beat 1-1/4 C. of vegetable oil with 2 C. sugar.  In a separate bowl combine 2 C. plus 2 T. flour, 2 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. cinnamon.  Whisk this together and add it to the sugar and oil. Beat in 4 large eggs.  Add 4 cups of grated carrots, 1 cup of baking raisins, 1 cup of chopped walnuts and 1 cup of coconut.  Mix just until combined. Pour the batter into two 9 inch buttered, floured and parchment lined pans.  Bake them at 350 degrees for roughly50 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.

 Turn them out onto racks to cool.

 Place one, top side down, on a plate and place wax paper around the edges.

 Frost with cream cheese frosting.  Beat 6 oz. cream cheese with 1 cup softened butter and add 2 tsp. vanilla and about 5 C. confectioners sugar.  You might need to add a couple tablespoons of milk to make it spreadable. Finally, use your nifty cake decorating tips to decorate it nicely and then forget to take a photo of it.  Take my word for it, it looked nice when it was done.


Comments

Anonymous said…
beautiful cake! I wondered how that tube worked out,, really interesting, is it hard to clean?
Anonymous said…
I did wonder if it would be easy or hard to get the bread out ofb that tube.

I do like carrot cake but have actually never made it myself! I don't know why but people just don't like raisins here, I love it and can eat them straight out of the box :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
There are much worse things in this world to be famous for than carrot cake. My imagination ran wild on that last photo!
Leanna said…
My most favorite cake in the world. I need to buy some more eggs. I have all the other ingredients so I'm going to make this today. I had a little laugh when the last picture was blank. But I have to say, if you didn't get the chance to take the last picture before the final product was cut into by a family member, then that's okay.
Mary said…
My husband's choice for his birthday cake. I have never added coconut, I will try next January. I do not frost the side on this cake looks more rustic.
Guillaume said…
I love a good carrot cake. Especially during autumn, with some hot tea.
kelley said…
the cake looks divine...thanks for sharing your recipe...
Kay said…
Thank you so much for your recipe. Carrot cakes are my son and husband's favorite dessert. I shall have to try and make this.
Mary Ann said…
Oh. Yes.

That's all I have to say :-)
THIS carrot cake recipe is going in my "JOYCE" book! I can't wait to make this one. Something I can do and have the ingredients! Yippee!!
Oh..forgot. About the bread tube. I would drop it or clunk it or something..so..not for me. As for the bread, never ate a piece of bread I did not like. :) Joyce...it rained all day today!! pound the drums and blow the horns!!